Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 invalid xrefs

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
2457 Views, 23 Replies

2013 invalid xrefs

I can't load some xrefs in 2013 that I can with 2012.  Identical new machines within the last week.

I get an invalid message for some not all.  Is it the 2013 jinx?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you try to open the XREFs directly (as in, open each file)? That's the best way to find out what's going on, instead of just opening the top file and wondering... .

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

yes, the xref drawings open fine.  I think the issue has to be a difference between 2013 and 2012 since I have no problem with the same xrefs in 2012 on identical, new machines.  My fear is that 2013 will be useless to me.

Message 4 of 24
Charles_Shade

Where do these XREF files reside?

Is it a Network issue?

Should the XREF's be Detached and then Attached for a new path?

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

No, it's not a network problem since everything works fine in 2012LT on the same network.

And it's not all xrefs, just some of them.

Message 6 of 24
pendean

There are no issues with Xrefs and LT2013: so help us help you by giving us more information about the Xrefs or 2013 error messages etc.
So far your info is not sufficient for remote support.
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous

Hello, In v2013, we get an error message when trying to xref certain interior elevations into our reflected ceiling plans. All of the drawings had been save previously in 2013 as v 2004 since our consultants use older software. The strange thing is that v 2012 has no problems with the very same drawings. The drawings have the correct paths, etc. The message we get is: Xref "name of xref" is invalid. Thanks for your help. David David Buergler, Architect 924 Pierce Street San Francisco, CA 94115 Ph 415-398-0744 Cell 415-269-5681 david@davidbuergler.com
Message 8 of 24
pendean

When you browse to and attempt to attach the references, how "deep" are the files? Adding togther the folder names and the files names, is it a large number of characters? Are you using Relative Paths or Full Paths?

As a test, try copying all of the files to a single folder on your computer (very short path) and try attaching them from that location.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

I'm running ACA2013 (full version, not LT) and having the same exact problem.  File saved on same workstation hard drive, file opens on it's own without issue.  Can xref same exact dwg into same exact dwg using V2012.  Must be a glitch with V2013.

Message 10 of 24
Anonymous

same problem, and AutoCAD 2013 keep crashing.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous

I had problems with my computer being very slow and crashing too, I realized when I was signed into Autodesk 360 it was using all my computers virtual memory, no matter how much space I allotted to it.  I've stopped signing in ... that seems to have solved the problem.

Message 12 of 24
pendean

Turn off/sign out of 360 seems to be the good advise to use with 2013 and this exact issue.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous

I had the same problem too when I tried attaching my x-refs???

The thing is, some of my drawing with x-refs attached, they seem to reload fine but others are not. And the ones that show the attached x-refs but need to be reloaded, I can't even reload the x-refs, It doesn't work??? 

I had no problem with 2012LT until I got upgraded to 2013LT this week.

Thanks for your help - Nelson

Message 14 of 24
pendean

Are the problem Xrefs 'nested' Xrefs? They need to be loaded correctly in their top file before you can see them with no issues in your master file.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous

Hello

We're experiencing the same issue with 2013LT and here is the work around for it

"Some of you may be experiencing some difficulties with xref in AutoCAD LT2013

Xref’s are not loading properly and the reference file status is “unresolved”

For parent drawings which have multiple xrefs, the RECOVERALL command will process the parent and all xref drawing files. Please note that the RECOVER and RECOVERALL commands should be run on drawing files which are closed.

Keep in mind that when you perform the “RECOVERALL” it will convert any recovered drawing files to the native version of DWG for the version of AutoCAD used to perform the command, another words you do this in AutoCAD LT 2013 it will save it as a 2013 version and anyone with 2012 will not be able to open the drawing. If you need compatibility with 2010-2012 (or earlier) AutoCAD products, it may be best to do the RECOVERALL with a version of AutoCAD from that release cycle, or you can do the following:

the DWG Convert tool is available on the Save As fly out from the Application menu (or DWGCONVERT at the Command line). That tool can be used to batch convert drawing files from one DWG format to another. So, if RECOVERALL in AutoCAD 2013 converts all files to the 2013 DWG format, DWG Convert could subsequently be used to convert them back to the 2010 DWG format (or 2007, 2004, etc.) in one fell swoop. I should also point out that eTransmit can be configured to convert drawing files to whatever version you need, too."

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous

Not sure if this will help, but my xrefs were coming up as invalid when I tried to insert them into a drawing. I went File/Drawing Utilities/Recover, selected the file I needed, and let it recover the drawing. A window would come up saying 1 error found, 1 error fixed. Close and save the xref. Now I was able to load that xref successfully into my drawing.

Hope this was a help to someone out there.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous

We are also getting "invalid" xrefs in 4 of our licences.  This is completely unacceptable as it is adversely affecting our workflow.  There appears to be no pattern to which drawing files, how 'deep' they are within the file naming protocol or what version they have been saved in/as, to allow us to identify what drawing files may be an issue and what one might not.   We tracked down an "Audit Fix" that when a drawing with an invalid xref occurs you undertake an audit, with fixes activated, on the file whereby it finds and fixes 1 (one) error and then the xref is reloadable and appears to work fine...if there is only one xref in the drawing.  If a drawing has more than one xref, the audit process still only picks up one error and then will only enable one xref to be visible.  We then need to effectively 'rebuild' the drawing to enable all xref's to be seen again.  Almost ready to delete 2013 from our system...very frustrating!  Some files are taking up to an hour to re-setup to enable us to work on our drawing files that we have never had any issues with in previous versions, 2012, 2011, 2010, etc...

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous

I was having invalid Xerfs also in AutoCAD 2013.  I took out the annotative text in the xref and then it xrefed OK.  As future trouble shooting I need to see what was wrong with that annotative text.  I have had annotative text in many xrefs.  Why this certain text did not allow xrefing I don't know.

Thanks,

Tags (2)
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous

Maybe someone should inform Autodesk of the importance of XREFS so that they will write a patch to get this issue resolved.  I am finding that I have to "RECOVER" the same XREF on the same drawing everytime the drawing is opened and edited.  The XREF hasnt changed, just the file it is attached to.  BETA testing may be useful too Autodesk??

Message 20 of 24
Charles_Shade

If you are having to recover each time have you unloaded all the XREF's from everything, opened each drawing to confirm that these are okay, and then reloaded the XREF's?

After having done so does the problem still persist?

This would confirm a LT 2013 issue and not a drawing issue.

At that point it may be worth filling out a bug report.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=1073063&siteID=123112

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost