Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 LT won't run - LTU won't run

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
barryware
879 Views, 8 Replies

2013 LT won't run - LTU won't run

Probably a meaningless post because I have no information to post in regard to logs and so on..

I have Autocad LT 2013 installed on two machines. One at my office, the other at home (home office). I typically park the license on the autodesk servers using the license transfer utility when the software is not in use. I never know when or where I may need it and I don't need to fear a drive crash.

The software was successfully running on both machines. Took a snow day and worked from home the other day. I needed the software.

The LTU would not run.. Nothing showed on the screen, no errors, nothing.. I rebooted the machine and tried again.. Same thing.

I rebooted once more and this time launched the software knowing that it would run the LTU to activate the software.

The software started loading.. The last thing I saw was "loading ribbon", then something came up on the screen and went away so fast, I do not know what it said but the software shut down.. It was like I never launched it.

There was nothing in the windows logs to tell me what may have gone wrong. I could not find any log files in the autocad folders..

I uninstalled the software.. Went through the hard drives and removed any / all autodesk / autocad folders.. I went through the registry and deleted anything that referenced autodesk / autocad.

The next day I was in the office. I checked to make sure that my license was parked on the autodesk servers and it was.

The day after that, I installed the software again.. same thing happened.. The LTU would not run or at least gave no indication it was running.. The software would start to load and right after "loading ribbon", would completely disappear.. Again, nothing in the windows logs.

The software worked before. Now nothing I can do to run it or find out what went wrong.

Where are the logs that autocad must create? What information can I post to try to resolve this?

Nothing in regard to hardware has changed on the pc in question. I do not use the software often on this pc so I am sure that there have been some windows updates. There was also an iTunes update.

The pc is running windows 7 pro, 32 bit. AMD 9000+ processor, AMD HD-46xx graphics card.

Is there any known issues after a windows update? Where can I find the logs to post some useful information so someone can point me in the right direction?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: barryware

The license agreement (EULA) allows for you to activate both of your installations for work and home office.  You do not need to use the LTU.  It never works anyway.  In fact, if you got it to work even once, then you should have played the Lottery that day. 

All you need to do is reactivate your software in both locations and you will be set.  If it will not do so automagically, then you may need to get a manual activation code.

You can use the online method to activate your license here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=18424632&siteID=123112

Or you can can call Autodesk Product Registration and Authorization:

http://en.autodesk.ca/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=9719649&id=9830778

1-800-551-1490 > Option 1 (English) > Option 1 > (Stand-alone)

Asia / Pacific: 65.6735.5688
Europe / Middle East / Asia: 41.32.723.9595

You will need to provide your serial number and the request code.

Good luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
barryware
in reply to: TravisNave

I need to read the fine print of the EULA but it was my understanding, I could install it anywhere, as many times as I wanted to but needed to use the LTU to move the license from one install to another. That would be great if I could leave it activated on both computers.

I actually have never had a problem with the LTU (till now).

Either way, neither the LTU or the software will run. As stated, when I launch the LTU, nothing happens.. No error messages, no screen activity, nothing. When I launch the software (acad), it makes to "loading ribbon" than disappears.

I suspect because the license needs to be imported at that point, it is calling the LTU and that is the problem.

I believe I have found the problem. I actually came back to delete my post but can't because it has been responded to (Thank you by the way)..

Is seems that the software is using a 3rd party app for license import / export. I found it by searching for files created on the install date.

I am imaging the drive now in case I mess it all up but I believe I just need to delete the app files and delete all references in the registry. it is actually a service that gets installed.

That should allow me to reinstall the software, and the LTU should work to allow me to import my license..

I am still boggled by how it got messed up to begin with.

I'll let you know how it goes if you are interested.

Message 4 of 9
barryware

Just a follow up..

Deleting the 3rd party licensing service files and all references to it in the registry, allowed the software to install, run, and activate.

The 2nd install did activate without needing to use the LTU..

Message 5 of 9
TravisNave

Excellent! You're all set.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 9
koendegroote

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, would you mind explaining which files to delete? It's not clear for me. 

Thx

Message 7 of 9
barryware
in reply to: koendegroote

There is a service called FLEXnet Licensing. You can find it in the control panel under services. Get the details. Find the file location on the hard drive and take note of the date it was created / modified.

Under Program Files => Common Files, you will find a folder called FLEXnet Publisher. Take note of the date the folder was created / modified.

Uninstall autocad using the control panel => programs and features. Make sure you uninstall everything related to autocad.

Search your hard drive and delete all folders related to autocad / autodesk.

Go through the registry and delete all keys related to autocad / autodesk excluding file extension associations.

Now search your hard drive for all files created / modified on the install date which would be the date you noted when searching for the flexnet service files.

Delete those files / folders that are part of flexnet created on the install date. Be careful here because other software may use flexnet. In my case, a suite published by Roxio also uses flexnet.

Now search the registry and delete the flexnet service entries.

Reinstall autocad.. You should now be able to import your license or re-activate the software.

Create a restore point and backup your registry before you proceed in case something goes wrong. Also reboot the computer between operations.. (Uninstall - reboot... registry edit - reboot... drive search and delete - reboot... 2nd registry edit - reboot, etc.)

Good luck..

Message 8 of 9
koendegroote

I thank you already for your response, I will try this later and keep you posted. Koen
Message 9 of 9
koendegroote

I followed your advice although I kept it a bit more simple: I deleted everything on C: related to autocad/-desk without searching/deleting files in the register. Now it works again. I hope I didn't delete to much.

Thx again,

Koen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost