AutoCAD Freestyle (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unzip Error: Failed to open the ZIP file.

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
bkl2
15176 Views, 11 Replies

I bought Freestyle software, but haven't been able to install it.  I've spent hours on it. 

I have turned off my firewall software, emptied my temp files.  I can't unistalll because it hasn't installed. I've rebooted and tried again, but still no luck.  I'm getting pretty frustrated.

The error log is:

Download Eula.
Download Pit.
Download Component AutoCAD Freestyle.
Installing Component AutoCAD Freestyle.
Installation of AutoCAD Freestyle exit with code 1603.

BTW I own WinRar, not Win Zip. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
avto
in reply to: bkl2

Sorry to hear that you are having troubles installing Freestyle.

What’s your operating system?  If you are on Vista or Windows 7, can you please disable UAC, make sure that you are logged in with a local administrator account and try again.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 12
bkl2
in reply to: avto

I'm still on XP.  II've attached a system report if you need more info.  I'm logged in as administrator.  I don't know if XP has a User Account Control switch.  I still get the same error message with or w/o the Firewall turned off.  So now what?

Message 4 of 12
avto

Please try the following:

1.Got to Start > Run and type msconfig in the open dialog box, then hit Enter key

2.System Configuration Utility window opens.

3.Under General select “selective start up” radio button

4.Click on Services tab, and select ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, to hide Microsoft services.

5.Click on “Disable all” button (note, if you have Nvidia Display Driver Service” you can keep it running)

6.Clear ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box

7.Clear “Windows firewall/internet connection sharing” check box

8.Click Apply, Close and restart the computer

9.Now try installing Freestyle again.

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 12
bkl2

OK, I ollowed the instructions, restarted the computer, and tried to install Freestyle, but no luck.  I get the exact same error message that it can't unzip the file. 

Why doesn't Autodesk just send me a disk so it doesn't need to be unzipped?  I'd like to use the product since I found AutoSketch to be helpful for small design projects, but my time is worth something too, so I've got to cut it off at some point and ask for my money back.

Message 6 of 12
avto

Sorry to hear that you are still having troubles installing Freestyle.

Another cause of the error 1603 can be restricted permissions on the SYSTEM account.

Here is the link to Microsoft KB article regarding granting full control permissions to the SYSTEM account.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834484

When time permits please follow the above link and let us know if it resolves this issue.

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 12
bkl2

I followed the instructions on the page you sent me to, but it doesn't show up with a security tab.  See the image attached. 

I did a bit of reading on Security accounts and it seems pretty involved to wade into all that just to install a small program.  I've never had these kind of problems installing any other programs and I've had a computer since 1980.  Why does AutoCAD need to be installed with changes to the System account?  Remember the original error shows it won't unzip the program. 

Can't AutoCAD just send me a disk so I can try to install it from there rather than unzipping it or is the application zipped on the disk as well?

Message 8 of 12
avto

Please go to Start > Control Panel > Folder Options, then click on View tab and uncheck ‘Use simple file sharing’.  Now you should see Security tab on c:\ properties dialog box.

Freestyle installation media contains some zipped content too, so sending installation DVD might not help.

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 12
bkl2

I followed your last instructions and then completed the Microsoft Support's 1603 error routine.  AutoCAD Freestyle still gives me the same error message.  Does this problem really have to do with unzipping the file like the error message states, or is there some other underlying issue?

Autodesk has cashed my check, but I still don't have the product.  So now what? 

Message 10 of 12
crounsl

If you would like a DVD sent to you, please contact me at lisa.crounse at autodesk.com.  I am curious to see if this helps.

Lisa Crounse
Sr. Product Manager
Message 11 of 12
bkl2

I'm willing to give it a try since nothing else seems to work.  I'll send a separate email requesting it.

Message 12 of 12
bkl2
in reply to: crounsl

The CD worked.  It installed - slowly - and I tested it briefly so the app seems to run.  I have registered the license number.  Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report