Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD integration

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
wisnoski
606 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD integration

I like the simpility of this program but ultimately for me to use it it'll have to integrate with AutoCAD more than it does now...
The ability to import from AutoCAD is hopefully something that'll be included in later releases?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
yschober
in reply to: wisnoski

Hi Andrew,

Yes, we are currently working on improving the integration with AutoCAD.

How would you be using Project Cooper and how much integration with AutoCAD do you need?

Thanks,
Yan
Message 3 of 9
wisnoski

As a designer my interest in this software is for easy to use design and presentation tools. At later stages of the design process a more technically advanced software like AutoCAD or Revit will be required but at the early stages it's nice to work in an easier user interface. I find that the cross platform issue something of an imperative because it happens so frequently for me in maintaining a flexible work flow. The capability to import AutoCAD files is a must. I work with several programs at the early stages of any design process.(AutoCAD, SketchUP, Revit, etc.) so the common platform seems to always seems to come back through AutoCAD. Say for example I had an existing AutoCAD plan of a house that I was designing a remodel for, it would be great import that into Project Cooper and not have to recreate that information from scratch. Same idea for site plans, surveys etc. which would be difficult to recreate in this program if you needed to illustrate a landscape plan or any type of site planning information.
Message 4 of 9
yschober

Thank you very much for the detailed response. It sounds like you would like full editing capability of AutoCAD dwg-files in Project Cooper. What if you could import any dwg-file, but the geometry was on a locked layer so you could only view the file in Project Cooper. You would be able to draw over it and use it as a reference, but you would not be able to edit any non-native Cooper geometry. Would that be sufficient?

Thanks,
Yan
Message 5 of 9
wisnoski

Probably not, and yeah, I guess am asking for full editing simply because you'd need that to make the imported file information coordinated within the new presentation in Project Cooper. (linework, hatches, text, changes in the plans etc.) Although having a Non- native trace file would be better than not, I don't like the notion of having to recreate information that already exists. Seems like an inefficient process. I figure you already expected me to say that anyway. I also sense that there seems to be a hesitancy to allow editabilty within Project Cooper of non native files? I'm not sure if it's a developmental issue or a conflict of marketing products that would prevent that from being instigated...
Message 6 of 9
yschober

Thanks for the reply - this is great feedback! As for allowing full edibtability of non-native dwg files, it's probably a little bit of both.
Message 7 of 9
wisnoski

thanks Yan for the honesty in your reply...
Message 8 of 9
t_lind

Any updates on the integration of .dwg files between versions? What about LT?
Message 9 of 9
crounsl

We have a document that outlines the ins and outs of DWG compatibility posted here - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=14985127 (scroll to the bottom of the page - there is a PDF there)

Lisa Crounse
Sr. Product Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report