AutoCAD Express Tools

Contributor
RickW363
Message 11 of 28 (13,889 Views)

Re: PDF to DWG converter

03-29-2012 03:03 PM in reply to: nigelgill67

Ive tried a couple of different PDF to DWG converters.  The best one I found was PDF2DWG.  None of them are foolproof and you will still need to do some tweaking of the resulting file. 

The problem many people have is understanding that conversions only work on PDFs created from a vector image (like a CAD drawing).  PDF's from scanned images or created by a raster image progame do not convert.

Distinguished Contributor
danpool
Message 12 of 28 (11,451 Views)

08-21-2012 08:48 AM in reply to: RickW363

I know this is a relatively old thread, and seems to be resolved, but I thought I would add a little to it.

Adobe Illustrator does a great job for converting PDF to DWG.  Illustrator will import PDF and export DWG.  The PDF can be manipulated within Illustrator and output at any scale.  I've had excellent success with Vector images.  One thing that Illustrator can do that I don't think any of the conversion-only programs can do is trace raster images.  I've had varying success with this, and usually requires a good deal of hands on manipulation, but this functionality has come in handy on several occasions.  It is especially usefull for things that don't have to be in scale, like logos and details.  

Illustrator is a deep program with a steep learning curve, but if you or someone you work with has it, give it a try.

Valued Contributor
lionSG
Message 13 of 28 (11,442 Views)

08-21-2012 08:27 PM in reply to: danpool

Hi All,

Thanks for the info, was looking for same thing like this for awhile instead of redrawing.

dhaval2002p
Message 14 of 28 (10,962 Views)

09-28-2012 01:24 PM in reply to: milend

I have used few PDF to Dwg converter software's. aidecad and pdf2dwg

both works fine but still we have to touch up drawings, its not 100% perfect i believe there is no sotware that make 100% straight line , circles and text,  but still this software's help to save your 80% time to redraw. so i like this software's.

Hope this help.

regards,

Dhaval

DCAD

josh-u
Message 15 of 28 (10,038 Views)

11-28-2012 02:02 PM in reply to: milend

I was hunting around all day today looking at different PDF to CAD viewers.  Going to buy one of these is an option, but the VectPDF open source project works just perfectly for this.  It is about 14MB and works right in autoCAD and doesn't cost a thing.

It loses the scaling on import, so you need to re-scale the drawing.  It also loses some of the connection points in arc or circles, but it tracks the lines perfectly and only needs a couple clean ups.

Try this tool out before trying one of the expense ones:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vectpdf

sgd4
Message 16 of 28 (9,270 Views)

01-27-2013 05:47 PM in reply to: milend

Corel Draw 5 lets you save to dwg or dwf.  I have used it to convert pdfs of municipal road maps to dwgs.  It typical turns everything into splines with A LOT of points which can be good or bad.

oguzozbay
Message 17 of 28 (8,434 Views)

03-21-2013 08:22 PM in reply to: milend

Hello,

I tried some 3rd party softwares for conversion too. My experience wasn't good with those.. Pdf to cad converted file doesn't aloow me to edit texts, multileader and hatch objects..All of them was vectors. And as one of user wrote some part of drawing turned back as a raster image.. my idea for best result complex drawing files (or for all scanned hard copies) Re-draw method.. Or find some guys like <a href="www.convertpdftoautocad.ca">convertpdftoautocad.ca </a>  to do that for us.. I also strongly believe if any way %100 percent conversion possible for sure Autodesk add that command to Autocad.. Autodesk is the best.. If we haven't got that option  on our sofware it means for me no way to do it :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 18 of 28 (7,589 Views)

05-23-2013 05:03 AM in reply to: oguzozbay

It all depends on the source data and the driver used to create the PDF (assuming it was printed and not scanned).

Using the built in PDF-to-DWG print driver (AutoCAD 2013), and then Dotsoft's PDF to DWG tool to import the PDF.....

* Text with Truetype fonts translate back into real text, while shape based fonts convert to vectors.

* Circles, arcs, lines, and ellipses come in as polylines.

* Polylines come in as polylines (broken at any point where the width changes)

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 19 of 28 (7,594 Views)

05-23-2013 06:01 AM in reply to: rkmcswain
FREE:
http://cad-3d.blogspot.in/2013/05/from-pdf-back-to-dwg.html#!/2013/05/from-pdf-back-to-dwg.html

Now go discover the limitations on your own, this thread has gone on too long and it's starting to repeat itself over and over again :smileyhappy:
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 20 of 28 (7,583 Views)

05-23-2013 01:31 PM in reply to: pendean

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community