AutoCAD Express Tools

lbabic
Message 1 of 6 (1,472 Views)
Accepted Solution

Linetypes with specific parameters

1472 Views, 5 Replies
02-21-2012 06:02 AM

Hi all,

I have a problem I haven't found an answer to in any CAD documents, books of forums. I would like to create:

a) a continuous line that begins and ends with space or a shape

b) a line (of any type) that has text (i.e. shape) imbedded exactly in the middle (no matter how long a line is) or at equal intervals (e.g. each 1/3 of the line)

Is there any chance linetypes like that can be created or will I need to resort to lisp and trimming/breaking the lines once drawn?

The problem is related to cartographic symbols defined by the State Geodetic Administration.

I'm attaching examples of what I would like to achieve.

Best regards.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 6 (1,471 Views)

Re: Linetypes with specific parameters

02-21-2012 06:05 AM in reply to: lbabic

Both are not options in AutoCAD with Linetypes definitions.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
lbabic
Message 3 of 6 (1,469 Views)

02-21-2012 06:07 AM in reply to: pendean

Thought so.

Thx anyway.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 4 of 6 (1,442 Views)

03-06-2012 06:58 AM in reply to: lbabic

Linetypes won't do what you want, but it would be possible to approach the problem in a couple of different ways:

One would be a custom LISP command for each specific line 'style' you want, using annotative blocks and text.

Another would be using a Dynamic block for the different lines.

Can you post blocks of the symbols you want to use? and a verbal description of how the lines need to appear on the final product?

lbabic
Message 5 of 6 (1,428 Views)

03-07-2012 02:06 AM in reply to: JGerth

As for LISPs, I already thought of that but the problem is that if I wanted text in the middle of the line, the text than has to be inserted in the middle after which the line has to be trimmed to the text which would create two separate lines, and that in itself makes a drawing more complex, not to mention it causes extra problems in case of subsequent alterations or editing of geometry.

As for dynamic blocks, I haven’t had any experience working with those but wouldn’t my text (if I chose that kind of linetype) become stretched in a longer (and vice versa) line? The same goes for the initial space of a continuous line as I mentioned above.

I've already posted linetype examples in my first post if that's what you're referring to.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 6 of 6 (1,424 Views)

03-07-2012 05:22 AM in reply to: lbabic

well, you posted a 'picture' of what you want to see -- if I try to work with that I'd be making a lot of assumptions, and you know what they say about assuming....  Posting a dwg with sample lines that include the block, and a description oif what rules apply to which line would be helpful:

for example:

@-------------------- COT ----------------------------@

Block "A" at each end, with text (font & style) centered, plotted height 1/8"

%----------DD----------------------------DD------------%

Block "P" at each end, with text (font & style) centered if line length less than X" , else evenly distributed at x/3, plotted height 1/8"

A LISP routine would not necessarily end up with multiple unrelated entities, they could be grouped, or defined as an anonymous block.  Text could be masked, or enclosed

Other questions that would come up would be ARCs, and plines with multiple vertices -- how should they be handled graphically?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community