AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHISH: Distribution bar layer

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
vladop
1218 Views, 7 Replies

WHISH: Distribution bar layer

I would like to have "distribution" layer acting like this:

A) As regular wire layer on insertion of wire or multiple wires (dots and loops are added, multiple wires are distributed on different "distribution layers")

B) When new wire is inserted starting from "distribution" layer, new wire layer wouldn't change to "distribution" layer

C) If two or more components are connected to the same "distribution" wire, in the Wire from/to report it would be shown that components are not interconnected, but that they are connected to component "tagged" with "distribution" wire number.

Without that kind of layer, as far as I know, there are three solutions:

1) using regular wire layer A is fulfilled, but B and C are not

2) using Jumper layer A is fulfilled, B is not and C is generally not fulfilled (component are not interconnected, but I would like to see that they are connected to distribution bar)

3) making component or some kind of terminal strip, A is not fulfilled. That's bad enough.

So, my wish is: Jumper layer, not changing new wires layer and inserting its wire number in Wire from/to report.

Regards, Vlado

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dougmcalexander
in reply to: vladop

Just assign the distribution block to a layer named JumperBar. AcadE knows to ignore any layer with the word jumper in its name from the wire list, yet the layer can carry a potential (wire) number and pass this potential along to other devices. Insert a terminal symbol at each location on the distribution where a wire will connect. The distribution block will have connection points (usualy screws) and the terminal symbol will represent these. The terminal symbol will also serve as a logical separation between the distribution block and the wire, so you can assign the wire to an appropriate layer. I use distribution blocks from Entrelec (the BRU series). They have a line side terminal marked 0 (zero) and 11 load side terminals numbered 1 through 11. I only assign BOM data to terminal zero so the device appears on the parts list with a quantity of 1. I do not assign BOM data to the other 11 terminals. Example attached.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 8
vladop

Thanks Doug,

I have already downloaded your IECProjA3_XYzones project. It's really best possible solution.

But still, you cannot do multiple wire insert which is very effective command.

You have to choose between limited number of connection points to distribution bar (I want to be able to connect to any point on 2.5 snap step) or to many terminals on the distribution bar.

It is possible to make invisible terminal points, but than you have to insert dots yourself, one by one.

Why is it a problem to make specific wire layer similar to Jumper layer? Only differences are that you would get wire number (or some other attribute value) in Wire from/to report, and that new wire layer doesn't change to distribution layer.

Regards
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

ACADE 2010 has the ability to ignore wire layers
when numbering. this still leaves the problem of the first item on the outgoing
wire connected to the distribution bus.

I normally leave the wires coming of the
distribution bus the on the same layer as the bus, due to the fact the
first item is usually a CB or fuse which is physically connected to the bus. The
wiring after that gets changed to the appropriate layers.

Regards Brad

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Thanks
Doug,

I have already downloaded your
IECProjA3_XYzones project. It's really best possible
solution.

But still, you cannot do multiple wire insert which
is very effective command.

You have to choose between limited
number of connection points to distribution bar (I want to be able to connect
to any point on 2.5 snap step) or to many terminals on the distribution
bar.

It is possible to make invisible terminal points, but than
you have to insert dots yourself, one by one.

Why is it a
problem to make specific wire layer similar to Jumper layer? Only differences
are that you would get wire number (or some other attribute value) in Wire
from/to report, and that new wire layer doesn't change to distribution
layer.

Regards
Message 5 of 8
vladop

I don't think this is some big issue, but with this (I guess) small correction, it would be much easier to use it and represent real situation.
Message 6 of 8
crocket_isle

Doug,

I can't seem to get this to work per your instructions. I created a layer named JumperBar and created a wire type for the layer named JumperBar but the problem I'm having is that ACADE wants to create wire numbers for the "bus wires" of the distribution block. I added the wire numbers to the 3-phase branch circuits coming off the distribution block by using the "three-phase wire numbers" command. How can I set this up so that I don't get wire numbers for my "jumper wires?"

Dave
Message 7 of 8
dougmcalexander

If you want no wire numbers on your distribution block you can just assign it to a non-wire layer like OL. The purpose of the JumperBar layer is to allow the potential numbering to flow through from the main supply (i.e. L1, L2, L3) to the connected loads. In other words if L1 is the potential number of a wire that connects to a distribution block/bar that is intended to branch out into motor circuits, heater circuits, etc. downstream, then I would expect to see wires connected to this distribution bar labeled as potential L1.

If you choose to assign the distribution block/bar to layer OL instead of JumperBar, the Electrical Audit will show the wires that connect to and from the distribution block/bar as wires with no connection. I look at it this way. If I want to account for the from/to connections from the distribution block/bar to the loads I need to make the distribution block/bar a logical entity. That way the panel shop knows to make a connection from the main contactor to the distribution block/bar and from the distribution block/bar to the loads. Edited by: dougmcalexander on May 1, 2009 4:09 PM

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I know that 2010 has a No Number List, which I
think was introduced in 2009. If you are running either of these two, look it up
in the help list and see about adding the JumperBar layer to the
list.

Regards Brad

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
If
you want no wire numbers on your distribution block you can just assign it to
a non-wire layer like OL. The purpose of the JumperBar layer is to allow the
potential numbering to flow through from the main supply (i.e. L1, L2, L3) to
the connected loads. In other words if L1 is the potential number of a wire
that connects to a distribution block/bar that is intended to branch out into
motor circuits, heater circuits, etc. downstream, then I would expect to see
wires connected to this distribution bar labeled as potential L1. If you
choose to assign the distribution block/bar to layer OL instead of JumperBar,
the Electrical Audit will show the wires that connect to and from the
distribution block/bar as wires with no connection. I look at it this way. If
I want to account for the from/to connections from the distribution block/bar
to the loads I need to make the distribution block/bar a logical entity. That
way the panel shop knows to make a connection from the main contactor to the
distribution block/bar and from the distribution block/bar to the loads.
Edited by: dougmcalexander on May 1, 2009 4:09 PM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost