AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wd_template.xls error

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
cawaugh
699 Views, 20 Replies

wd_template.xls error

I am getting a wd_template.xls > xx columns error on my laptop when trying to export out to spreadsheet. if I am in the "DEMO" project, it works just fine.

If I am in my own project, it does not, even when using the same drawing. this comes up every now and then when updating or installing software.

I keep thinking its a pathing issue but I cannot for the life of me see or figure out the issue. It's probably very simple but it's driving me nuts trying to find the solution. it should work on my project that same as it does for the DEMO project. Smiley Mad If you have run into on Acade 2014 or any other version, please let me know. I am on an Dell Precision M6500 with Wins 7, 64 bit 1.87 GHz with 4 GB.

Thanks for any help on this as it can be frustrating finding info on it.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
stefan.stamate
in reply to: cawaugh

I am running into the same issue right now with my AutoCAD Electrical 2014. The message is "Cannot create file ...     Make sure that wd_template.xls has >11 dummy columns and a single sheet named "Sheet1"

In my case it doesn't even work on the "DEMO" project.

I have tried lots of things: replace the template wd_twplate.xls, reboot, reinstall AutoCAD settings, rebuild the scratch project database before exporting  and none solved it. My guess is that one of the last Excel updates screwed something up, trying to figure out which one is another story.

The only one which works is to export as an mdb file (Access) and update it there and then import it back.

Did you get any updates on this?

Message 3 of 21
cawaugh
in reply to: stefan.stamate

I never did but I'm thinking the Acade templates are not keeping pace with the Excel versions.

I have moved on to work arounds as I never did get an answer.

Message 4 of 21
rhesusminus

This is the problem: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...

There are 3 solutions there.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 21
stefan.stamate

That's what I suspected, thank you Trond!
Message 6 of 21
cawaugh
in reply to: rhesusminus

I have seen this happen but that's not what is at issue in this case. we do not even get as far as a spreadsheet due to this error.

it is as if Acade does not recognize the current xls format/version. Thanks for the solution on other issue, though.

Message 7 of 21
rhesusminus

Did you try the fix? I know it has fixed the "template problem" also...

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 8 of 21
stefan.stamate

On my case AutoCAD generates an Excel spreadsheet with all the worksheets inside but no data (if I select "General (All)" in the export menu) or the error above (if I select "Drawings Settings"). I know that there are 2 separate templates for these exports and this is probably why the difference in behavior.

Message 9 of 21
cawaugh

I'll give it a shot, thanks. I'll let you know the outcome.

Message 10 of 21
stefan.stamate

I have uninstalled the only security update that it was on my computer from that list and it didn't fix the export to Excel issue. Funny enough when I searched for Windows updates again that specific update didn't show up in the list. If I have time I will try the last option from the list: "Modify the DataBase connection string to use ACE" and let you know. I am afraid that we will have to wait for Microsoft to provide the required fix...

Message 11 of 21

I've now seen that some other updates are causing problems as well. Sort updates by installed date, and uninstall them until it works.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 12 of 21

This is also shown on the main page of this forum: Recent Microsoft Security Updates causing problems with Autodesk software

I did not try the work around found on this page: Recent Microsoft Security Updates might cause some problems

We might need to wait for Microsoft to fix it...

Message 13 of 21

One of the latest Windows updates fixed the issue and I now the export to Excel works properly.

Based on the updates that I had this morning it was either 

Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB4011197) 32-Bit Edition

or

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553204) 32-Bit Edition

Message 14 of 21

Excellent feedback!

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 15 of 21
cawaugh

I have Microsoft 2013. I'm going to try to maybe to save the spreadsheet it gives an error on twitch 2013. Maybe that will help.

We should not be having an issue and the user should not be spending so much time on something that Autodesk should have QA'd.

Message 16 of 21
rhesusminus

Twitch 2013?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 17 of 21
cawaugh

I haven't had my coffee yet. I use Excel 2013. right now I am going to see if having these files in my wd_sup_alt path will work. Nothing else has so far. I usually just export to a csv file and move on but it is aggravating.

Message 18 of 21
rhesusminus

Did you install all the latest updates for Windows/Office? I heard the MS had release a patch that fixes the problem with excel communication.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 19 of 21
cawaugh

When I do try to update it tells me that Windows is up to date and there are no updates available for my computer. Time to move on. Eventually something will come up or be solved by the time I go to another version or another computer, hopefully. Thanks for your comments and assistance.

Message 20 of 21
Icemanau

Couple of questions...

Are you using Win 10 or Win 7.

If using Win 10, have you told it to update other MS products in the Update settings?

This may also be possible in Win 7 but I don't have a machine handy to check...

Have you tried going to the Excel help and doing a search on how to update Excel itself?

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost