AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

same wire number for drawings having different location code.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
sekhar_pd
742 Views, 6 Replies

same wire number for drawings having different location code.

Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to fix the subject issue since a long time but unable to fix it and thought this forum may help me.

The Issue:

let us say i have 10 drawings in a MCC project and location code for all the 10 drawings are say 1F1, 2F1, 3F1, ...., 10F1 and sheet numbers are from 1 to 10.

In each drawing my wire number for neutral is 001.

How to accomplish this task ? Autocad electrical 2012 is not allowing even if I check boxes in components tab in project properties window.

Advance Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dougmcalexander
in reply to: sekhar_pd

Assign wire number 001 using Edit Wire Number and be sure to leave the box checked to make the wire number Fixed. Use Source and Destination arrows to continue the same wire from drawing to drawing.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 7
Icemanau

At this stage, as far as I know, ACADE does not allow use the INST and LOC in the wire numbering system.

I have the same problem in that I design boards made up of multiple panels, the majority of which are identical.

The best way around it, is to have each panel (or type of panel) as it's own seperate project. Then another project with ALL the dwgs contained within it.

This allows you to get full functionality for each panel especially in regards to wire number and their error checking while the full project is used for things like title block updates and publishing the dwg set.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 4 of 7
lkirkup

There are a couple of things you can do here.

1. Set the wire numbers to use the location code for each drawing.

So in the Project Properties > Wire Numbers tab set the format to %L-%N.  This will now give you wire numbers in the form of 1F1-001, 2F1-001, 3F1-001 ect.

If you dont want that and you do want 001 for the neutral regardless of its location code then you need to edit the WD.ENV file.

2. Edit the WD.ENV file by looking under the MISC section for the following line.

SETQ:GBL_wd_wnum_noduplicate_chk,'("24Vdc" "0Vdc" "001")

Anything you put in here will be ignored by the automatic wirenumber duplicate checker.

So as you can see I have added 001 to the 24Vdc and 0Vdc I already have in mine.  You can add whatever you like.

You will more than likley have an * at the begining of the line.  You will need to remove it for the command to be recognised.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 7
sekhar_pd
in reply to: lkirkup

Thank you very much...

The technique, you have  suggested is fine for some wire numbers which get repeated...The issue is I am preparing drawings for already built in panel few decades ago.  My drawings have many wire numbers in common.

coming to your suggestion:  Is there any way to hide location code of the wire number while printing....if i can print/plot the drawings in such a way that it contains only wire number my purpose gets fulfilled.

My friend was suggesting me that he found Mr. Nate Holt blot where he found the way to get the wire number with installation code and location code and later hiding those...but now we couldn't find that technique.

Once again I thank you and all above for giving your time.

Message 6 of 7
lkirkup

Sorry, I dont think there is any way to suppress the location code in the same way you can with the tag numbers.

I get around this problem by putting a note on the drawing that states "The component tag & wire number prefix shall not be required inside the drive module"  This way when the module is being wired the electrician doesnt put the prefix (location code) in the wire numbers, but as soon as the wire leaves the module it must have the prefix to avoid issues in the field.

Alternativley if you dont like that idea, you can goto Project Properties > Project Settings and turn off the "Real time error checking".  This will allow you to double up on wire & tag numbers.  But you could end up with other errors if you are not careful.

Message 7 of 7
drathak
in reply to: lkirkup

@lkirkup wrote:

If you dont want that and you do want 001 for the neutral regardless of its location code then you need to edit the WD.ENV file.

2. Edit the WD.ENV file by looking under the MISC section for the following line.

SETQ:GBL_wd_wnum_noduplicate_chk,'("24Vdc" "0Vdc" "001")

Anything you put in here will be ignored by the automatic wirenumber duplicate checker.

So as you can see I have added 001 to the 24Vdc and 0Vdc I already have in mine.  You can add whatever you like.

You will more than likley have an * at the begining of the line.  You will need to remove it for the command to be recognised.

Hope this helps.

Well THAT is some handy knowledge!  But I've been using Source-Destination pairs to carry my wire numbers throughout.

Also, I'm airly sure you could have all your wires labeled "George" and ACADE wouldn't care.  You're wiring guys would probably hang you.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost