AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14
Justin2012
612 Views, 13 Replies

layers

I don't understand why my layers is not copying throughout the other draiwngs. I went to project utilities and import the layers from the drawing that I want but it didn't update all. Also, I use the setting compare to match the drawing I want but it still doesn't update all.

Please let me know what I am missing or if there is an easy way to get this done.

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: Justin2012

Can you provide a small project, the WDP and at least 2 drawings (without any proprietary information on the drawings) and the steps you are doing? Include any options selected on dialogs. Without the drawings it is hard to know what is happening.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 14
Justin2012
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

I am having some issues deleting some layers in the create/edit type. Whats funny is the drawing doesn't have anything on that layer so I don't understand whats preventing me from deleting it. Any guide will be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Message 4 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

Can you provide a drawing that I can try this on? Also, what version of AutoCAD Electrical? So far I haven't been able to reproduce any issues. Also provide the steps you are using so I can make sure I am trying the same thing.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 14
Justin2012

Attached is the drawing. I want to delete the non wire layers in the Create/edit Wire Type page but it couldn't let. The layers are not even on the drawing. Even when I purge nothing happen.

Also, is it possible to set the layers in way that when a layer in a sheet is turn off, it automaticaly turn off its cross references on the sheets?

My advance thanks for any gudance.

Message 6 of 14
sonny3g

I would check to see if the layer is locked or frozen.  I would also check to make sure it is not locked or frozen in the viewoport column either.

Also, if a block(s) you have inserted has items on the layer you are trying to delete, it will prevent you from deleting the layer.  Those items will not show up on the layer when you do the search because they are buried in the block(s), but if you do a block edit on that block(s) and change the entities on the layer you are trying to delete to another layer then you would be able to delete the layer.

Hopefully that is not too confusing and is helpful.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 7 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: sonny3g

Sorry for the late replay, I was on vacation.

To make sure there is no misunderstanding, you don't delete a layer from the Create/Edit Wire Type dialog. You can take an existing layer that is current;y defined as a wire layer and change it so it is no longer considered as a wire layer. This is what happens when you select a wire layer and click "Remove Layer". Also, if you have multiple layers that begin with the same prefix, such as "RED_" then you may have to select all these layers in the grid before the "Remove Layer" button is enabled. Any layer you "Remove" still exists in the drawing, it just is not considered a wire layer by AutoCAD Electrical.

To delete a layer from the drawing you use the AutoCAD layer command. This command will not let you delete a layer from the drawing if there are objects on that layer. And Scott is right, attributes on blocks count.

Can you give me an example of a specific layer that you could not remove and the specific steps you took?

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 14

Sorry I didn't respond to this part of your original post -

"Also, is it possible to set the layers in way that when a layer in a sheet is turn off, it automaticaly turn off its cross references on the sheets?"

Cross-reference attributes are placed on the layers defined in the Drawing Properties > Drawing Format tab > Layers Define button. You can define a layer name for Cross-Reference, which is used for parent components and signal arrows, and Cross-Reference (Child), which is used for child components. If you use the layer command and turn off the layers defined for these in the Drawing Properties then cross-reference text will not be visible.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 14
Justin2012

Thanks.

What I mean is if I turn off a layer on sheet 1 how can I set it to automatically turn off its child-component is on sheet 2?

Maybe I just say, I don't want to see a particular in the wire type box.

Message 10 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

The visibility of layers is not controlled by the Create/Edit Wire Type dialog box. This only controls which layers are considered wire layers for the purposes of wire numbering, from/to reports, i.e. things that need to know if a line is a wire or just a plain old line.

To control the visibility of a layer you need to use the Layer command to turn layers on and off. AutoCAD Electrical will not turn off a layer of a child attribute simply because a parent's layer is turned off. You would have to turn them off manually on each drawing that you want them off or you could use a script and then use the Project-Wide Utilities to run a script across the set of drawings in the project.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 14

Pat,

Is what the OP asking for even possible? I thought that there was only one layer for symbols, one for XREF, one for Tags, etc.

I thought ACE could not find anything if it was not on these layers...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 12 of 14

Bob,

maybe I am misunderstanding what is being asked here. What do you think is being asked?

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 14

The OP stated,

"What I mean is if I turn off a layer on sheet 1 how can I set it to automatically turn off its child-component is on sheet 2?"

Now, the idea of turning off a layer in one drawiong and having another layer turn off on a different drawing is the question but I read it more like

"I want to turn off CR1 on drawing 1 and have the contacts on drawing 2 also turn off."

I didn't think that ACE would allow this because all the symbols use the same layers and there is not any way to have some symbols on one layer and other symbols on another. The way I understood it was that ACE relied on the layers to determine which symbols where present for the scratch database.

Am I mis-understanding this fundamental process?

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 14 of 14

Bob,

you are understanding correctly, if you turn off a layer then whatever is assigned to that layer is off. So if you turn off the cross-reference layer then no cross-reference is visible.

You can set specific attributes to invisible with the tool provided but this is also done manually.

So I guess I misunderstood what was being asked and didn't answer appropriately. Layers are all or nothing on each drawing. A layer cannot control the visibility of particular components or the visibility of attributes on only specific components.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost