AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jumpered terminals - sequential terminal numbering

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
chriswillis5914
799 Views, 7 Replies

jumpered terminals - sequential terminal numbering

Hello All,

We have been using line referenced terminals where the wire number drives the terminal number.  we are wanting to use sequential terminals. 

using wire numbers to drive the terminal number doesnt seem to work becuase anytime there is a wire not connected to a terminal leads to gaps in our terminal numbers (1,2,3,5,8,11...). so we are trying terminal numbering not based off of wire number but having trouble with jumpered terminals.

for example we sometimes put a jumper in when a component is not present (it works for these as it gives them different numbers). However we also have hot and nuetral on the left/right and show a terminal at the top and bottom, then use a source arrow to goto the next page to continue them on but on the 2nd page show a terminal again at the top and bottom for reference so that you dont have to keep going back to page 1 to figure out the number of your hot/nuetral. in these cases, every additional terminal gets a different number but they need to be the same.

Do you know if this can be done?

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Icemanau
in reply to: chriswillis5914

You can have several terminals with the same number, you just have to set them yourself rather than letting ACADE do an automatic re-number. ACADE will count each instance of a terminal block as a seperate physical terminal.

If you right click on a terminal and select the terminal option, You can then select the Jumper options. This will allow you to tell ACADE that certain terminals are jumpered together. If you have used the 'Terminal number with no wire number change' block, then when you apply a wire number on one wire to one terminal, all the wire numbers from that terminal and all other terminals jumpered together will show up the same.

NOTE that you do NOT place a seperate wire number to those other wires, but use the Wire Number Copy block instead. This will display the first wire number, and follow any changes made to it.

If you use a source/destination arrow, the wire number will follow between pages. Then all you need to do is insert a Wire Numbr Copy to display your number on the new sheet.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 8
chriswillis5914
in reply to: Icemanau

Thank you for the reply. 

I have attached an example dwg illustration with the hots circled in red and nuetrals in blue (see ExampleDwg.jpg attached).  I want all the hots to be the same number and all the nuetrals to be the same number.

I think I have the jumper in place (see Jumper.jpg attached)

but when I do an AETERMRENUM, it doesnt change my terminal numbered 9 to a 3.  even if i manually change 9 to 3, it will change with when renumbering

i tried to right click the terminal >terminals>associate terminals  but it says the terminal carries no block properties

(im using VT0002)

is it something in the editor that i need to select? (see Editor.jpg attached)

Message 4 of 8
Icemanau

ACADE tends to have problems with all the different ways that people use terminals.

The Auto renumber will automatically renumber ALL terminals in the selected strip. There is a renumber tool that allows you to pick each terminal as you renumber and that is the one I use when I have jumpered terminals that use the same number.

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut if you want terminals to have the same number. You will have to use the PICK method to renumber.

From the Attached pics, you have the jumper in place on 3 & 9, but you would need to and 11 & 17 to have all 4 terminals jumpered. Other than that you have it all correct in regards to the jumpers.

With the renumber, using the pick renumber tool, select the terminals in sequence to renumber them but only pick the first of the jumpered terminals and SKIP the rest of the terminals jumpered to it. Then you just set those using the component edit tool. Same for any other jumpered terminals...

For example, Pick terminals 1, 2 & 3 as per normal, SKIP all the other terminals that you have jumpered to 3, go on to 4 & 5, SKIP all the terminals jumpered to 5, and then continue with the rest of the terminals. Then edit the terminals connected to 3 and 5 and change them to match whichever terminal they are connected to.

Regards Brad

Message 5 of 8

I am unsure if you are saying it is possible or not. you talked about manually editing terminals after a renumber but also talked about the jumpers as well. I jumpered 3,9,11,17 (all the hot terminals - see attachment) but it still renumbered them. even if i changed them all to 3 they were changed back after renumber.  is it possible with jumpers or not possible at all?

Message 6 of 8
Icemanau

ACADE will do that. As I said, when you have multiple terminals with the same number, it is easier to use the PICK option when doing a renumber. Then manually edit the duplicate terminals to match.

You should have TWO renumber options to choose from. The first is the PROJECT WIDE option which will renumber every terminal in the designated strip or the PICK option which only renumbers the terminals you click on. They are (or were) two seperate commands.

With the Pick method, you designate the start number, then go through and click on the terminals you want to renumber. ACADE will change the number of the terminal to the next in sequence after the first pick and so on.

This allows you to skip renumbering terminals as well as have them in a set sequence rather than by where on the page they are.

When you run the same command on a seperate dwg within the project, it will remember the last number used and give the option to continue with the same sequence.

With the PROJECT WIDE command, you select the terminal strip you want to renumber and the dwgs within the project. ACADE then goes through and renumbers ALL the terminals within that strip based on your Tag/Wire Order setting and it's location on the dwg and the dwgs place in the project.

Regards Brad

Message 7 of 8
chriswillis5914
in reply to: Icemanau

i again do not understand.

you first say that autocad can do that

then you go on to describe using the pick terminals to number them and manually editing the terminals that are the same but I am not interested in this option since my drawings will be too large

then you go on to describe auto numbering which I am interested in doing but you do not describe how to do it any different than the way I am doing it which has the negative result of every single terminal having a different number even the ones connected (my hots, nuetrals, and even terminals 7 and 13 from my ExampleDwg.jpg which are connected by source/destination arrows and show a terminal in both locations for convenience that the user does not have to go back to the referenced location to determine the terminal number)

please clarify what you are trying to convey

thank you

Message 8 of 8
Icemanau

There is NO way to change the set up of the Automatic Numbering to skip terminals.

If you want to skip terminals you are limited to using the pick method, doing it manually or removing the terminals you want to skip from the strip you want to renumber before doing an automatic renumber and adding them back in afterwards.

There is the capability to renumber terminals within the TSE but that is a bit more complicated.

Regards Brad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost