AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

footprints

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
chubby-1
262 Views, 6 Replies

footprints

Well I am starting in on placing panel footprints and had a few questions.

1. do you have to maintain a drawing name format for footprints like you do on symbols? Or can they be assigned any naming convention?

2. do most people place footprints using the schematic list? so it will place a X beside your component letting you know you have placed a footprint.

3. besides the tag1 attribute are there any other specialized attributes I should look at using? Just wanting to know if there is anything I need to be watchful for.

Thanks
Marty
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MartinLee
in reply to: chubby-1

1. There is no speical format for footprint names. By choice, all of mine begin with a "P". I also try to include all or a portion of the catalog number in the name.

2. I can't speak for most people, but using the Schematic to Footprint utuility is the way I do it. ACE marks the devices as they are used, or you can set it to remove devices from the list. I generally place all devices on the drawing, then go back and move them to the desired location.

3. The P_TAG1 attribute is the one that is on all my footprint drawings. There are a few footprint symbols (such as transformers and VFDs) that have a rating value. But you have to be careful not to get too much detail on the drawing. Most of my footprint symbols are simple rectangles. We also include the mounting points/cutout lines for all devices as we have our own electric build shop. We plot full scale punch prints for them.
Message 3 of 7
chubby-1

Martin:
Thanks for the reply. This is my first complete project (schematics and panels) so I am guessing the next time I place a device I have set up schematically it will prompt me to place the correct footprint drawing? or vise versa? just curious as what to expect.

Marty
Message 4 of 7
MartinLee

You are correct. All of this works in conjunction with the catalog number. Once an association has been made, ACE "remembers" (by using the footprint_lookup.mdb file) and every time that device is used, puts the correct footprint symbol at the cursor. One tidbit of info; if you search for the footprint symbol and select it, remove the path data so that you have only the filename. That way if you ever move your symbol library folder, ACE will still find the symbols. And a word caution. If you select the wrong symbol name, you have to manually edit the file. This is done through a toolbutton (Misc. Panel Tools>Footprint Database Editor).

I've been using ACE and its predecessors since early 1999, and I still Ooooh and Aaaah with all of the cool stuff it does.
Message 5 of 7
dougmcalexander

Marty, you can use the Footprint Editor on the Panel Layout Toolbar Misc. Panel Tools flyout, and create connectivity with your existing "dumb" footprints as they exist right now. You don't actually have to edit your existing footprints and add the P_TAG1. What ACE will do is merge one of the blocks from the Panel folder (i.e. wd_ptag_addattr_comp.dwg for components or wd_ptag_addattr_trm.dwg for terminals) as needed to create a "smart" footprint on the fly. Of course you can create or modify your existing footprints using the Black Box Builder to add more attributes, but the quick and dirty way allows you to use existing footprints. In advanced class I also teach how to make footprints that carry wire number, wire layer, and even connection information that depicts where the other end of the wire connects. I will attach a sample terminal block done this way. It happens to be an Entrelec M4/6 6mm series terminal. You simply have to add the proper attributes to carry that data. In this case the attributes that make it work are WIRENO01 and WIRENO02. But again, ACE will allow you to use "dumb" footprints as long as you enter the MFG and CAT in the Footprint Database and enter the path to your existing footprint.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 7
dougmcalexander

Marty, attached is a sample of a contactor that carries wire data. It happens to be an Eaton AN16DN0AB. You will see numerous WIRENO01, WIRENO02, etc. attributes. In the case of a component (not a terminal) you also need a TERM01, TERM02, etc. The default value for each TERMXX attribute must carry PIN assignments so ACE knows where to drop the wire data. Once you place these blocks down, use the Schematic Wire Connections > Footprint tool on the Panel Layout toolbar to extract and add the wire data.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 7 of 7
chubby-1

Thanks, Martin and Doug, I have it working WEEEEEE!!! We do not show anything on our panel drawings except the device, so all I really need for each is a basic shape (no wiring options) Thanks again for the posts and all the help....seems to be another hurdle overcome.....and onwards we trudge. 8-)

Thanks again
Marty

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost