AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

edit or add attributes to existing component

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
sniktun
1421 Views, 1 Reply

edit or add attributes to existing component

Hey guys,

Basically i want to be able to make small changes to the already existing autocad components without having to create my own for every single component. 

I open up block editor, add the required attributes and then overwrite the existing block when saving. I can then add it to my existing drawing and my added attributed appear in the miscleaneous tab just fine, but when I select another drawing, or create a new one in the same project all of my changes to the component seem to dissapear. any idea's?

I have created plently of my own components which save just fine when saving it as a new block, does the software not allow autocads standard components to be overwritten?

thanks

James

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dougmcalexander
in reply to: sniktun

Be sure those drawings are purged of any old versions of those symbols, or use the update block utility to force the drawings to obtain the latest version of the block from the appropriate library folder.

I recommend not changing AutoCAD Electrical stock symbols directly. First, copy any symbols you wish to modify to a folder named custom symbols. Do not change the file names. Make your edits to the symbols. You can use standard AutoCAD commands to copy, rename, and/or move attributes. Save the changes. Finally, add this custom symbols folder to the top of the project library list, under project properties. Again, you will need to delete any existing symbols from the drawings and purge the unused blocks, or run the update block command.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost