AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

default_cat.mdb file size

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
robbm2k
773 Views, 8 Replies

default_cat.mdb file size

To limit the size of the catalog DB, been removing unneeded entries and tables, but have noticed the file size of the MDB file itself isn't shrinking at all for ACADE2013. I noticed it would on previous versions. Anyone have thoughts/suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
leeholl
in reply to: robbm2k

What are you using to do the edits? If you use MS Access, you could try running the "Compact and Repair Database" from the Database Tools menu. If you do some Google searches (example), you will see that this is MDB/Jet behavior and nothing to do with ACADE.

Regards,

Lee

Message 3 of 9
robbm2k
in reply to: leeholl

I have had ACADE issues that require reinstallation whenever the MDB was compacted thru Access. Something in ACADE wouldn't accept reading the catalog database once it's been compacted, and required uninstallation and deletion of ACADE in the registry, and I haven't had to do that on prior installs of ACADE to trim the size of the MDB.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Electrical/Catalog-Lookup-Freezing/td-p/2591602/page/3

Message 4 of 9
leeholl

I have no heard of that problem before. It might be a time saver to make a back up copy of the database first, try compacting and if it fails, restore the backup. 

I am curious as to why the file size is an issue (apart from disk space)? Are you seeing issues that are only resolved by a compacted database?

Thanks,

Lee

Message 5 of 9
robbm2k

With network issues, the 400MB database size is far too large given the number of components in it we use. Also, just backing up the database isn't the issue, because if the compacted MDB is used inside of ACADE, the entire program needs to be removed from the registry and reinstalled.

Message 6 of 9
leeholl

Thanks for the clarification. Are you saying that you can use the compacted MDB after you have uninstalled and reinstalled ACADE, or that you are back to square one? 

Regards,

Lee

Message 7 of 9
robbm2k

back to square one. it seems to be something with ACADE trying to read the compacted file and even after the compacted MDB is replaced with an original, ACADE won't open the catalog lookup, it just freezes while trying to. something inside ACADE it seems hangs onto that compacted MDB and cannot get past it once it's seen it once.

Message 8 of 9
leeholl

So we can test this, can you provide information around O/S, version of MS Access and any service packs you have applied to ACADE 2013?

Thanks,

Lee

Message 9 of 9
mathalekar

We are trying to reproduce your issue at our end. With given information & steps it is difficult to reproduce and ACADE is working good. There is a high chance that we might be missing some minute step that perhaps you are doing and we are likely skipping. Can you help us by creating a video for detailed steps to reproduce, so that we get fair idea. We also want to check possibility of sharing your database with us for analysis purposes. Will it be possible to upload the database on dropbox or google drive and share link with us ?

As Lee, requested please let us know which OS, service pack etc that you are operating on to simulate the environment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost