AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom terminal component linkterm problem?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
A2u1t5o9desk
674 Views, 8 Replies

custom terminal component linkterm problem?

Hello, I'm trying to create a custom symbol to use as a terminal.

GOAL:  when doing a multiple insert of a custom terminal component from the icon menu, I want to create an editable terminal strip composed of what look like screw terminals in model view.

STATUS:  I've tried modifying a round with terminal number from the model space into symbol builder to look like a screw terminal, inserting two diagonal lines and inserting it in the icon menu without altering anything else.  When I try to create a terminal group, none of the "new" components allow me to open the terminal strip editor.  When I look for some difference, I find that the LINKTERM attribute is not being automatically set when the "new" components are inserted.

My question is, is it possible to create/modify a symbol and use it to create terminal blocks/strips.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rhesusminus
in reply to: A2u1t5o9desk

When you save your new, edited symbl, what do you name it?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 9
A2u1t5o9desk
in reply to: rhesusminus

I was accepting the randomly assigned name such as "HDV01_182." The DV meant it was just a generic, functionless symbol. Using your hint, I intervened and named it manually with the "T1" designation to create HT10_0204.dwg, which means H(orizontal) T(erminal) 1(wire changes going through it..) 204(randomly assigned identifier And now, being named a terminal, I can access the strip editor, and I get the Terminal related funcions in the menu when right-clicking on the object. Thanks
Message 4 of 9

The letters "DV" in a suggested symbol name are supposed to be replaced by the user with letters that match a table in the catalog lookup database.  In the case of terminal blocks, the naming convention is different, as you have discovered.  Normally, the 2nd and 3rd character of a symbol's file name directs AutoCAD Electrical to the apropriate table when you perform a Lookup to assign a part number.  Normally the tables are named with two letters, such as CB for circuit breakers, CR for control relays, FU for fuses, etc.  But for terminal blocks the table is named TRMS.  This requires that a WDBLKNAM attribute be added to the terminal symbol with a value of TRMS.  The WDBLKNAM attribute signals the Lookup function to disregard the block name and look at a different table, as defined in the value field of the WDBLKNAM attribute.  The HT1 or HT0 etc. in a terminal symbol's file name instructs the software to process all operations against this device using subroutines that are intended for terminal blocks only.  Just FYI...

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 9

Thank you.  I'm wondering, does this relate to the cousin problem of creating original objects that are able to have parent-child relationships?  Is the ability to have these relationships constrained to certain types of tables?  In a less technical sense, when is it more appropriate to use multi-catalog rather than parent-child?

Message 6 of 9

Multiple Catalog us for adding subassembly parts. Parent-child is when a device must be broken into multiple symbols. A relay coil is a parent, while its various contacts are children. But the parent carries all part number entries. Fuses are an exception in AutoCAD Electrical. Child fuses can be assigned a part number, because it is possible that the three fuses in a 3-pole fuse block might need to vary in rating, according to how the load balances across the 3 phases.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 7 of 9

Thanks, that really answers my question.  I don't want to be a drain, but I do have one more related problem... what kind of situation would obtain if I needed to create a custom symbol for a VFD card on one sheet, and another custom symbol for a different aspect of the same VFD drive on another sheet, showing its electrical hookups?  If both symbols represent different aspects of the same part, then technically, I'm thinking, this would call for a parent-child relationship (same part for both).  But this creates a headscratcher - how does one create a parent-child relationship between two created symbols?  Does this get into the table value assignment techniques you mentioned?

Message 8 of 9

You would use parent-child. Two symbols, the parent named HDR1 and the child named HDR2. Use V instead of H if the wires enter the symbols vertically. The symbol builder will guide you.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 9
sonny3g
in reply to: A2u1t5o9desk

That is exactly what I do for VFDs.  The parent carries the primary controls termination points, any value settings I need and the child carries the motor connections.  I do it that way so I can put more motors on a sheet and keep all of my low voltage on a separate sheet.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost