AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autosave or save issue

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
priva2
676 Views, 8 Replies

autosave or save issue

In the last week I have had 2 dwg files not remember my last save from the previous day of work.  I have looked in the temp folder where the autosaves are stored and the first time I was able to recover from the autosave file.  The last time the autosave file also did not have my most recent drawing changes.  I use quicksave rather religioulsy and I rarely have more than one dwg open at a time as well.  It seems to me there is a randomly occuring issue for me and saving.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this and any steps I can try to fix this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
OP21
in reply to: priva2

What usually works for me is this.

1. Create a folder called "RecoverDwg" somewhere on your network or local drive.
  2. Under -> Options/Files/Automatic Save File Location, browse to this "RecoverDwg" folder.
  3. Under -> Options/Open and Save, check boxes "Automatic Save" and "Create backup copy with each save".  This will make a .bak file on each save.
  4. At the command line, type: movebak and then enter the file path to the "RecoverDwg" folder.

This will separate your saves and backups (.sv$ and .bak) in one location outside of a temp folder.  Then if needed you can rename the extension back to .dwg...

Hope this helps...

Hope this helps!
Omar

P.S. If this did help you, remember to "Accept as Solution", so the answer can help others. "LIKES" are always welcomed and much appreciated! Thank-you.
Message 3 of 9
priva2
in reply to: OP21

I will set that up later today and see how it works for the next week.  Thank you for the speedy reply.

Message 4 of 9
priva2

I haven't had any issues losing saves since doing this but your logic makes sense.  I will consider this an answer.  Thank You

Message 5 of 9
dchiabaudo!

I have been experiencing the same problem.  I am losing days of work and looking like an idiot sending out drawings that don't have the changes I say I have made.  It has happened a lot lately.  Is there a glitch in the software?

Also, I followed the instructions above but got hung up on the last instruction.    Enter "movebak" on command line.  I am assuming you mean the main command line on at the bottom of the screen.  It does not recognize the command.  

Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
OP21
in reply to: dchiabaudo!

Is it possible that you do not have "express tools" loaded.  Maybe this KBA can help:.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8227674&linkID=9240617

Hope this helps...

Hope this helps!
Omar

P.S. If this did help you, remember to "Accept as Solution", so the answer can help others. "LIKES" are always welcomed and much appreciated! Thank-you.
Message 7 of 9
Wheelie22
in reply to: priva2

It would be nice if AutoCad had a autosave option ! A kind of incremental function that not overwrites the last.

1 that saves every 10 minits or that you could edit this value.

Or that you could give the save directory.

Or that you could give the save file extention.

In Acad version 2.14 this was the case, I don't know where it wend wrong.Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 9
pendean
in reply to: Wheelie22

AutoCAD 2.14? 1980s, 30-years ago? In DOS?

Unless AutoCAD Electrical is 'different' than other AutoCAD versions, there is a built-in Autosave available for recovery purposes from a crash and there are many ways to make that autosave file 'permanent' (server required, an I.T. workaround) as well as direct it's location to anywhere you desire (core feature) and at any increment you set (core feature).
Message 9 of 9
Wheelie22
in reply to: pendean

Earlier this year :

Auto save AcadE 2012 does not work. 

643 Views, 7 Replies

01-20-2012 02:07 AM 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost