AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring Diagram and Connection Diagram

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
K.Staub
5377 Views, 4 Replies

Wiring Diagram and Connection Diagram

Hello,

My goal is to use AutoCAD to make a connection diagram (with any number of components/connections), and then using that to generate a wiring diagram such that it shows all wires from one component to another as it's underlying wires.

An Ethernet cable connection for example, a connection diagram with two components shown connected by one single Ethernet cable wire. The single wire would contain the data of the underlying Ethernet connections (wire colors/pin-pin connection information etc.). Using that then for AutoCAD to generated the wiring diagram of an Ethernet connection where the two components would have the 8 wires with color/pin information between them.

Allowing for other protocols such as RS232.

Is AutoCAD able to create a custom part (cable in this case) that allows such a thing?

From using the pin-list database to custom symbol creation, I think that I'm on the right track now with the cable marker feature. Using it will allow me to maintain a proper parent/child between the wires, except I'm still struggling with bridging the gap between a single wire that harbors the underlying data.

My attempts at this have all met with dead-ends and I can't find a forum post outlining this specific issue.

Maybe an alternative would be to save cable configurations for future use without necessarily making it a block (/symbol)?

I hope that I have been clear enough in outlining what I'm attempting. I'm still really new with this and any advice/help at all is always appreciated.

Thank you,

- Kurt

edit: I'm using AutoCAD Electrical 2011

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
eric.powell
in reply to: K.Staub

Kurt-

This is exactly what I've been needing to do too, but I've had no luck so far.  I'm playing around with SolidWorks' elecworks package from Trace Software now; it does what you're looking for.  If you find a way to do this in ACADE please post it!

Message 3 of 5
pavlovgn

Hi Kurt,

I'm looking for exactly the same thing.

Have you been able to find how to do it?

Georgi

Message 4 of 5
electricman1

What you guys may be looking for is the Cable Markers. Go to the Insert Component->Miscellaneous->Cable Markers. There are many factory out-of-the-box options here. Start with the first one "Cable Marker" and insert on one wire and a prompt will ask if other child wires exist.

To make the Manufacture and cable Catalog part number attributes visible on the parent cable symbol: Components->Attributes->Hide/Unhide Attribute->Unhide Attribute.

Don't forget to add the cable information for parent attributes Manufacturer, Catalog number, and Wire Color/ID using the Edit Component. Each child marker has an attribute for Wire Color/ID.

Also, add a Link Components with Dashed Line to detail the link visually.

The cable reports should include this detail when run.

Message 5 of 5
jdenny

Kurt,

See the attached Pic. I have been working on this for a while. I have the higher level diagram figured out (with a lot of customizing). The lower lever (wire level) type drawing could either be a completely new one, or different views of the higher level one (possibly using visibility states). The actual wires (color and signal name) would be built into the library part. There are a few ways to go here, each with there own plusses and minuses.

We can share data if you'd like. Maybe it will be mutally beneficial.

Thanks.

-----------------------------
Jeff Denny
Sr. Engineering Manager
Harris Corporation
Melbourne, Florida

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost