AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire number tagging based upon wire type

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
nateholt
697 Views, 3 Replies

Wire number tagging based upon wire type

Though this ability has been in the product for quite some time, it is sort of hidden away and probably not very well known.

For example, let's say that your company standards for wire number assignment includes the following wire numbering requirements:

1. 24volt DC wiring to use blue wire and tagged with a "DC-" prefix and sequential starting in the "5000″ range.
  2. Ground wires to use green wire and have a "GND-" prefix plus a three digit sequential starting at "001″
  3. White neutral wires to have a "N-" prefix and start at sequential "1″
  4. Black power wiring to have a "-PWR" suffix.
  5. All other wiring to default to sequential starting at number "1″

Your first impression might be this... your wire number assignments are going to be all manual and very tedious. But that's not the case. AutoCAD Electrical can be quickly set up to automatically conform to the above standard using wire number tagging based upon wire type.

A simple, easy-to-follow example is given in an AutoCAD Electrical blog posting here. Take a look if there is interest.

(full, spelled out link is http://nateholt.wordpress.com/2009/08/16/wire-number-tagging-based-upon-wire-type-autocad-electrical... )

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
crislem
in reply to: nateholt

Nate,

I have one question that is related to your post&article.

What I want to accomplish is to have the project set up in such a way to assign wire numbers based on the sheet number and line number (which is what I do now so this part is complete), but I want to do it for all wire types minus anything that is on layer GREEN***. Right now I get sheet number and line number assignment for ground wires and what I want to have is just wire number "GRD" for all my ground wires across the project. By using the method you described, I created an exception for layer GRE* so that it would label it "GRD". I didn't enter anything in the "Sequential start %N" and "Suffix list" fields, however, when I try to do assign wire numbers they appear as "GRD1", "GRD2", "GRD3", etc. (which is my normal suffix setup for all the other wire types).

So, the question is, is it possible to have the project set up in such a way to mark all my ground wires the same, "GRD" with no suffix?
Message 3 of 4
paterianus
in reply to: crislem

Was this issue ever resolved, I have the same request for un-numbered 'GND' wires.

Message 4 of 4
mikegoutier
in reply to: paterianus

I am also trying to do this right now. Any one up for a Friday challange to figure this out? I will be ever in you debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost