AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire Colours

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dbrblg
462 Views, 4 Replies

Wire Colours

In the Create/Edit Wire Type dialog box there are two columns Wire Color and Size.  When you fill in these columns, where are these stored?  

The layers are set in the WD_M block and the Layer Name is linked via this block but I cannot seem to find where the Color and Size descriptions are kept.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: dbrblg

The color and size descriptions are written to the layer name field based upon the Layer Name Format.  There is no residual intelligence.  In fact, after time, you may see the entries in the Color and Size field clear.  It is a one-shot deal for creating the layer name, for those people who prefer not to simply type the layer name directly into the Layer Name field.  Once the layer is created, changes to the Color and Size fields make no difference in the layer name.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
shuhn
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hey Doug...Steve Huhn. You might not remember me, but you came and did an Admin course here at Tennessee Rand last year. I was the genius in the room. Ha! Anyway, I've got a question for you about this. Back in ACADE 2006, there used to be a field to fill in where you added all of the layers that you want to be considered as wires. You can still see this in the Settings Compare dialog box if you Show All. Ours is filled in like so: "BLK*, WHT*, RED*, GRN*", and so on... Anyway, I'm trying to find that field if it even exists anymore. It looks very similiar to the dialog box that pops up when you "Add existing layer" within the "Create/Edit Wire Type" dialog box, but I think it used to be in the Drawing Settings. Does this exist anymore like the original Black Box Builder?
Message 4 of 5

It seems to me that a report can display color and size of the wires.
it is unfortunate that the "import wire types" function does not matter these two characteristics.

Message 5 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: dbrblg

Hi Steve! The Create/Edit Wire Type Dialog is the appropriate place to add existing layers as wire types. Wild cards are allowed so you can type in BLK* and it will find all layers that begin with BLK and add them to the wire types list.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost