AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WildCard Not Working in the pin list -ace 2015

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
KOBI1912
4455 Views, 32 Replies

WildCard Not Working in the pin list -ace 2015

i have add an Pin list  FOR  ITEM: 194l-E##-3254

BUT when choosing the item in the catalogue, the pin list are Missing

only afte setting the pin list with the full name 194l-E12-3254 ,THE PIN LIST ARE LOCATED  AS EXPECTED

32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33

I see where you're coming from, but copy and paste will still suffice for a secondary catalog entry.  It is rare that I enter the same part number into both primary and secondary. It sort of defeats the purpose of having the two databases.  The real way to solve this, when considering the use of a secondary catalog, would be to keep the pin lists in a separate database entirely, so primary and secondary catalog databases look to the same pin list tables.  But again, I think part of the new concept is to streamline.  

AB pushbuttons come in N.O. and N.C. so the pins aren't always 1 and 2.  They can be 3 and 4, for the normally-open type.  It would be nice if the pin numbers came preloaded from Autodesk.  But the pin list dataase was originally intended to support relays and motor starters.  That's why you see the fields named Coilpins and Pinlist.  But, like you, I consider the Coilpins field as a parent and the Pinlist field as children and I assign pins to everything.  I started using it for circuit breakers, disconnect switches, and more back in 2006.  But this method wasn't officially supported.  It just so happened to work.

Hint:  You can also use the TEXTVALUE field and assign TERM01=1;TERM02=2, etc. and skip the pinlist database altogether.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 22 of 33

In my example, I am still leaving all the AB PB data in the default cat - only the pin list data is in my secondary cat. that way it keeps my customization seperate and no need to migrate the catalogs every release. 2015 is first time I've touched the migration tool for anything outside of the footprintlookup and the plc database since 2011. I can't remember the last time prior to 2011 - I'm setup to upgrade and go without it.

As for the example you gave - set the coil pins to 1,1,2;2,3,4 and the pin list to the same and it will work as you want for NO/NC and for Child Objects. THe Coil Pins are for the initial Lookup and the Pin List is for the Child Objects.

Rick France
Solutions Engineer
Hagerman & Company
Message 23 of 33
RickFrance
in reply to: RickFrance

And TEXTVALUE field for pin lists are still a lot of typing and copying and paste - I would redefine the symbol first and set the default attribute which is probably how would handle the push buttons from here on out without the wildcard.

Rick France
Solutions Engineer
Hagerman & Company
Message 24 of 33

You can only enter one set of pins in the coilpins field and there is no differentiation for N.O. or N.C.  The Pinlist field requires 0 for a Convertible contact, 1 for N.O., 2 for N.C., or 3 for Form-C (a.k.a. changeover), followed by a comma delimeter and the pin assignments.  Again, we are fooling the software into thinking that it is working with a relay or motor starter.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 25 of 33

Yopu might want to try that again. I've been entering them into Coil Pins as 1,1,2;2,3,4 for years and it will choose the pins correctly based on a NO or NC push button symbol.

Then again - I do it in Access not with the Pin List editor - that could make a difference.

Rick France
Solutions Engineer
Hagerman & Company
Message 26 of 33
RickFrance

Just tested it in 2013 with the Pin List Editor (2013 is the oldest I have) and it worked like a charm.

Rick France
Solutions Engineer
Hagerman & Company
Message 27 of 33

I like to preload pin assignments when I build the blocks, if I know the pin assignments will never change.  Remember in class how we made the power supply?  I had the class go ahead and load the pin assignments into the TERM01, TERM02, etc. attributes, because we said that that symbol represents a device that comes from one company and the pins will always be the same.

Most pushbuttons these days do follow the 1,2 for N.C. and 3,4 for N.O., and if you are certain you will never use a different brand, which might use a different numbering scheme, then absolutely preload the symbol block with the pin assignments.  The same is true of pilot lights.  The main reason I don't preload pushbuttons is because I teach, and I don't want my standard symbols to look dfferent than those my students have.  The other reason is because there are so many types of pushbutton blocks, (vertical, horizontal, with mushroom, without mushroom, etc.) that I don't want to edit the attributes of so many blocks, when I can just enter the pins once into the pinlist field and copy/paste to all others.

Everyone has their own preferred method of doing things.  Do what is comfortable for you, as long as you know that the software can interpret it.

Doug McAlexander

Message 28 of 33

I agree, I don't like to preload pin assignments either and I do enter them when I create new data. The problem is the existing data in the default catalog doesn't always have the pin assignments so the method above was an easy work around. Without the wildcards it nullifies that method though. However, most everything that I would need that for was in my 2014 catalog and the migration fixed it for me - that does not help my students and clients that are starting out with 2015 though. I've come up with a work around for that also but I don't like it - too many steps for them.

I remember sitting in your class, but I already knew the software from the VIA days - not sure why they wanted me to take the class - they had me doing support cases at the same time so I really wasn't able to pay much attention. I think we talked music more than anything during breaks 🙂

Rick France
Solutions Engineer
Hagerman & Company
Message 29 of 33

I understand what you are saying, but pushbuttons are either N.O. or N.C. so adding both pin options to the coilpins field for a N.O. part number wouldn't really relate.  You would have to use type 0 to get it switch back and forth between N.O. and N.C. anyway.  But I haven't tried this myself.  I just use the Coilpins for parent and the Pinlist field for children.  Individual symbols that stand alone could be assigned pins via the Coilpins field, but I don't think you can toggle N.O./N.C. and see the assignments alternate. Maybe I am wrong.

The example I was referring to is for components like multiple circuit breakers or disconnect switches, where the coilpins entry is assigned to the first block placed and the pinlist entries are assigned to the children, to build a 3-pole device.

Doug McAlexander

Message 30 of 33

Try it - it works

Rick France
Solutions Engineer
Hagerman & Company
Message 31 of 33

A wildcard entry of 800T* isn't quite adequate.  There are pilot lights in the 800T series, 800T-P*, and they are pinned X1 and X2. For pilot lights you have to use 800T-P*, 800T-Q*, etc. to cover their variations.  You have to use 800T-B* in order to narrow down to pushbuttons, which get 1 and 2 for NC, 3 and 4 for NO.  You also need to make an entry for the 800H series the same way.  But I get what you are talking about.  But I don't mind the new approach.  Just enter the data all at once and be specific for that one part number.  No worry about keeping up with wildcards.  Copy and paste that record while still inside the Edit mode of the Catalog Browser and adjust the catalog number/description as needed to create more and more entries for this family of components.

Doug McAlexander

Message 32 of 33

The 800T was just an example - not meant to be taken so literally. I agree the new approach is great for new stuff - I just prefer the wildcard method for default catalog components so that I don't have to fix everything that comes out of the box that is not defined.

Rick France
Solutions Engineer
Hagerman & Company
Message 33 of 33
rhesusminus

Great tip, that one can use the "pinlist-format" in the coilpins-field. Just checked the documentation, and it confirms that this is as it's supposed to be. Didn't know that!

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost