AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Source and Destination Issue

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
ElecImplementor
818 Views, 11 Replies

Weird Source and Destination Issue

So be prepared everyone, this problem is very strange. It has so far only happend in one project that we are working on. Ok here goes:

So we are working on a project in AutoCAD Electrical 2013. There are multiple people working on the project all using this same software. The problem seems to lie in that some are using 64bit and some are using 32 bit versions. On the 64bit version the Signal Cross Refrence(source and destination arrows) issue is that they will not update with the proper wire numbers and tags. They just show the standard "??" beside them. The weird thing is though that they are linked because we can surf from one to the other. On the 32bit versions everything works fine...

This is what we have tried:

Refresh and Rebuild Database

Delete .mdb file

copy project

All other updates (eg. Wire numbers, component tags, ladder resequence) seem to be working fine and as i've mentioned there seems to be a  link established between the signals even becasue we can surf from one to the other no problem. The issue is the actually cometics/labeling of it. And only on 64bit does the issue persist.

Anyway I think that is all the information I have. Not sure if anyone can help/has heard of this problem before. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

Thanks in Advance!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
acade2012
in reply to: ElecImplementor

? how are you updating them?

I have the same issue, i am running 64 bit windows 7 and the only way i can get them to udate is go to each source arrow and do a update/retag on each 1. Long process but at least that works. The destination arrow seems to update fine.

FYI

ACADE 2012, Windows 7, 64 bit

Message 3 of 12
ElecImplementor
in reply to: acade2012

That does not work for me unfortunetly and both arrows have the same issue.

Thanks though.

Message 4 of 12

Hello,   

Would you please help to provide a sample project with the problem? Then we can look into the issue.

We don't have any issue in our Demo projects, as you mentioned, the issue seems related to some special projects.

You can remove all the components in the drawings, only left the wires and Source and Destination in the drawings, but make sure can reproduce the issue.  

Thanks,  

Robin Shou  

Quality Assurance  

AutoCAD Electrical  

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 12

Have you tried the Update Signal References utility?

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 12
sstrecker
in reply to: dougmcalexander

I have the same issue and am running Windows 7 64-bit.  I've found numerous compaints about this problem on the forum, and still no answers.  I've tried every possible combination of rebuilding databases, manually editing numbers and databases, the "Update/Retag" button, the "Update signal references" button etc.  I've even submitted a support case to AutoDesk with no responce as of yet.  What I've noticed (anecdotaly) is that;

-Vertically oriented source/destination arrows do not update "project wide". (JIC style schematic)

-Using the "Update Signal Refernces" button works on a page by page basis, but not when you select "project wide".

-The vertical rails in my projects (with the most trouble) are typically "fixed" to meet company standards.

-When the insertion of a destination pops up the "do you want to update source" message, that works fine. 

-Any project updates that effect wire numbers turns my signal arrows back to ???.

Message 7 of 12

I did find a strange work around solution to this problem. What I did was break up the project in half, it was a fairly large project and I broke it up into two smaller projects. This solved the problem and all sources and destinations updated. Not really sure why this worked because I do have plenty of other projects that are even larger than this one was, they all work fine.

Hopefully that helps!

Message 8 of 12
sstrecker

Is it perhaps that the source/destination arrows are meant for inside the same drawing and you are supposed to use stand alone references for between drawings??  I'll have to try that.

Message 9 of 12
ElecImplementor
in reply to: sstrecker

No, the source/destination arrows are definietly meant to be used across all drawings in a project. I've only ever had this problem in one project so far, although obviously I have not been the only one. I think its probably just a couple of links within the project that somehow become corrupt. Since a scratch database update/refresh does not help I'm thinking its probably something on the actual drawing thats corrupt.
Message 10 of 12
Icemanau

Have you tried running the Drawing Audit across the project. This will normally pick up most of the corruption issues and fix other problems as well.

Look in the Reports tab for the link to start.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
sstrecker
in reply to: Icemanau

Yes I have.  I'm currently working with tech support on the issue.  They found the same anamoly and are checking into it.  I sent them part of my project.

Message 12 of 12
sstrecker
in reply to: sstrecker

Well, they had to go up a few rungs in tech support, but I finally got a solution.  I was using the # symbol in front of my codes.  This is apparently a no no.  Here is what I recieved.  It would be nice if the software could give you a wrning that says that is unacceptable.  Oh well.

"Apparently, the # symbol is used by the program (in many instances) as a
wildcard character, so its usage should be avoided for things which are
static in nature.  Other such characters include these symbols:
 *@?[]{}.~!-'."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost