AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

advanced1
Message 1 of 5 (475 Views)

WD_TB and .WDL file not working as expected. Help!

475 Views, 4 Replies
12-07-2011 12:23 PM

I am trying to switch from using the .WDT title block linking method to using the WD_TB attribute title block setup for my template. So I setup my WD_TB attributes in my template and have successfully created drawings and updated the title block! Then I wanted to create a WDL file to show the desciptions instead of LINEx in the descriptions dialog box. This was successful as well, when I renamed the WDL file to match the Project name and moved it to the same folder as the wdp file. It was also successful when I renamed the WDL to default and moved it to the folder containing the default.wdt file and then mapped that file path in my AutoCad Electrical 2012 Options/ Support File Search Path.

So here is my issue:

When I check a project into the Vault through the Project Manager and then create a new drawing for that project, as Autocad is processing the drawing and checking it into the vault, it crashes. Everytime! Right before it crashes I can see in the command line that it is trying to update the title block and since this did not happen before I tried using the .wdl file I assume it has something to do with that. What am I missing???

I was thinking that if the wdl file needs to be with the wdp file, should it copy the wdl file to the vault when I check in the wdp file? Any thoughts are appreciated.

*Expert Elite*
testsubject
Message 2 of 5 (473 Views)

Re: WD_TB and .WDL file not working as expected. Help!

12-07-2011 01:34 PM in reply to: advanced1

I don't know if this will help but the default name for this file is default_wdtitle.wdl.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 3 of 5 (469 Views)

12-07-2011 05:23 PM in reply to: advanced1

Be sure that your WDL file is named with the _wdtitle.wdl as the file extension, not just .WDL.  The file extension begins with an underscore.  Each time you copy a project with a <projectname>_wdtitle.wdl file in its folder Electrical will rename the file to <newprojectname>_wdtitle.wdl.  If your _wdtitle.wdl file never changes from project to project, you can keep one in your User folder named default_wdtitle.wdl, but if you share projects over a network, it is best to keep the file in the project folder.

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
mwatchorn
Message 4 of 5 (415 Views)

04-05-2012 06:27 AM in reply to: advanced1

The WDL file name (in Electrical 2011) needs to be in this exact format:

ProjectName_wdtitle.wdl

I tried to simplify my ProjectName without success.

If your WDP file says:
My_Project.wdp
then your WDL file needs to be named:
My_Project_wdtitle.wdl

AScorgie
Message 5 of 5 (373 Views)

05-07-2012 09:04 AM in reply to: advanced1

I too have had this problem of the LineX descriptions not changing when the *_wdtitle.wdl file is created. I have tried the project specific, and the default naming of the *_wdtitle.wdl and none seem to work. I even tried the same with some of the tutorial files.

I'm running ACADE 2012 64-bit, on a network deployment.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community