AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WD_TB and .WDL file not working as expected. Help!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
advanced1
1703 Views, 4 Replies

WD_TB and .WDL file not working as expected. Help!

I am trying to switch from using the .WDT title block linking method to using the WD_TB attribute title block setup for my template. So I setup my WD_TB attributes in my template and have successfully created drawings and updated the title block! Then I wanted to create a WDL file to show the desciptions instead of LINEx in the descriptions dialog box. This was successful as well, when I renamed the WDL file to match the Project name and moved it to the same folder as the wdp file. It was also successful when I renamed the WDL to default and moved it to the folder containing the default.wdt file and then mapped that file path in my AutoCad Electrical 2012 Options/ Support File Search Path.

So here is my issue:

When I check a project into the Vault through the Project Manager and then create a new drawing for that project, as Autocad is processing the drawing and checking it into the vault, it crashes. Everytime! Right before it crashes I can see in the command line that it is trying to update the title block and since this did not happen before I tried using the .wdl file I assume it has something to do with that. What am I missing???

I was thinking that if the wdl file needs to be with the wdp file, should it copy the wdl file to the vault when I check in the wdp file? Any thoughts are appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
testsubject
in reply to: advanced1

I don't know if this will help but the default name for this file is default_wdtitle.wdl.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 5
dougmcalexander

Be sure that your WDL file is named with the _wdtitle.wdl as the file extension, not just .WDL.  The file extension begins with an underscore.  Each time you copy a project with a <projectname>_wdtitle.wdl file in its folder Electrical will rename the file to <newprojectname>_wdtitle.wdl.  If your _wdtitle.wdl file never changes from project to project, you can keep one in your User folder named default_wdtitle.wdl, but if you share projects over a network, it is best to keep the file in the project folder.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 5
mwatchorn

The WDL file name (in Electrical 2011) needs to be in this exact format:

ProjectName_wdtitle.wdl

I tried to simplify my ProjectName without success.

If your WDP file says:
My_Project.wdp
then your WDL file needs to be named:
My_Project_wdtitle.wdl

Message 5 of 5
AScorgie

I too have had this problem of the LineX descriptions not changing when the *_wdtitle.wdl file is created. I have tried the project specific, and the default naming of the *_wdtitle.wdl and none seem to work. I even tried the same with some of the tutorial files.

I'm running ACADE 2012 64-bit, on a network deployment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost