AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Views in Model Space for ACADE 2010 or higher

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
matthewjohnston4386
372 Views, 3 Replies

Views in Model Space for ACADE 2010 or higher

Hello,

The problem I'm having is with large panel drawings.  I use proper tools to place a very large equipment enclosure.  So the drawing is very large.  When I place the 30mm AB buttons on the drawing, they are to scale.  When I zoom extents the buttons are very small. 

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to make a "viewport" in model space so I can have a blown up view of the button layout.  That way if or when the buttons or components are updated, the view updates as well.

I'm fairly new to AutoCAD in general, but I've picked up on the electrical fairly quickly.  The problem I'm seeing is that AutoCAD Electrical wants you to stay only in model space and not use paper space.  What do I need to do to show details on panel layouts?  Thanks!

Matthew Johnston

Corning Inc.

Matthew Johnston
Sr. Controls Scientist
Corning Inc.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Best way that I have found is to do all your board layouts and such in modelspace with the title blocks in layerspace and viewports as required.

Electrical will only recognise a single Paperspace page and titleblock per drawing and will still update the titleblock in the Paperspace so this does not put it out of step with the rest of the project.

The problem arises when you have to many viewports for a single title block and require more Paperspace layouts to do the detail viewports required. I don't know of any way to do this other than having the extra Paperspace layouts and MANUALLY updating the title blocks for them and any sheet settings in the entire project.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 4

Thanks Brad for the help.  I'll have to look into this, but with my limited knowledge of paper space, and the fact that our facility does not use it, may mean I need another method.

Surfing around the forums here I found two very interesting things:

1. Doing a Copy Assembly and then Special Explode to get a dummy version of parts.  The only problem with this is that the dummy version is no longer linked to the "real" parts and will not update.

2. Doing a Copy Assembly on a separate drawing, then going into the Drawing Properties and checking the "Reference Only" box.  This means the parts are real, but the AutoCAD Electrical-ness will pass over it in any kind of report or issue.

Well, I have a few drawings to try this out on, so I'll post more if I find out anything.

Matthew Johnston

Corning, Inc.

(PS I do want to acknowledge that most of the items I found came from Doug McAlexander, so thanks Doug!)

Matthew Johnston
Sr. Controls Scientist
Corning Inc.
Message 4 of 4

Editing a block of any sort in Paperspace is exactly the same as editing the block in modelspace.

1. Insert the titleblock into paperspace (or go to paperspace, double click the viewport, select the titleblock, type CHSPACE and hit enter) and and then set up your page to suit (Files -> Page Setup).

2. Insert and resize viewports as required.

3. The titleblock on the first Paperspace Layout will be updated via the Titleblock Update command. Other Paperspace layouts will require you to doubleclick on the titleblock and editing the values directly.

If you use the Maxsheet attribute, don't forget to adjust the setting in the Titleblock Update to reflect the additional Paperspace layouts.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost