AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the cable from/to report

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
2rastas
528 Views, 5 Replies

Using the cable from/to report

I'm trying to customise the cable from/to report in AutoCAD Electrical 2011 and I have some questions. I want to add a field to the report that we use to hold the inventory number of a device. The field is the "Item" field.

Can anybody tell me how I can add this field to the report for the "from" device and the "to" device?

Thanks in advance for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
casey.heater
in reply to: 2rastas

I'm looking for essentially the same thing, but I'd like to include the "USER1" field.

Message 3 of 6
jalger
in reply to: casey.heater

Hi Casey,

You need to add the Attribute you want import in a report to the WDA file.

You can create a simple wda (User Defined Attribute file), by going into the "Reports" section on the ribbon.

Once there look in the "Miscellaneous" panel for "User Attributes".

(if you are using classic, just type in "AEUDA")

In the table that pops up, fill in:

the Attribute tag, ( the name of the attribute with the information you want to include)

The column width, ( the default size of the column that is placed in a report) 

the justification,  ( what the text will look like in the report, left , right , center, top left, etc)

and the Column Title ( What you want the title in reports to say)

I hope this helps both of you out,

Regards,

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 4 of 6
casey.heater
in reply to: jalger

Thank you for the information James.  All these years and I've never noticed the "User Attributes" section of the reports menu.

I understand I can pull user defined information from the drawings into reports with this utility.  However, I am looking to pull an already existing field (USER1) into the Wire From/To report.  USER1 is not available in the From/To Report.  We use USER1 to hold in-house part #'s.

I guess the work around would be to add a new field to the "User Defined Attribute List" and then change all the symbols to include this new attribute and set the catalog to copy USER1 values to this new field.  That's a lot of work when the USER1 field already exists.

I would like the USER1 field to show up in the From/To report.

Casey Heater

<edit> Hmm... I am not seeing the new field within the report generator.  Unfortunately, inserting the screenshots into this post causes a "message cannot exceed 100,000 characters" error.

Message 5 of 6
jalger
in reply to: casey.heater

Hi Casey,

All you have to do is type in User1 as the tag name (it should just read it from the database, since the user1 attribute is copied over).

The data is in the component, but its also stored in the project database, this is where your reports data is being stored.

C:\ Users \ <username> \ AppData \ Roaming \ Autodesk \ AutoCAD Electrical 20XX \ RXX.X\ enu\ Support \ User

It actually a fun trick, since you can have access to any of the fields in electrical in all reports by simplying adding the the attribute name to the wda file.

It should be working, I just checked in my ACADE 2014 to double check that they didn't change that in the 2014 software. 

The earliest version I have had a chance to play with was 2008 and its been there since then.

I hope this helps,

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 6 of 6
casey.heater
in reply to: jalger

Thank you for the help James.  I found the problem.

My company uses a shared directory for projects.  I had to save the WDA file to my local project directory as the project database is residing there.

As long as the WDA is in the same directory as the project project database I'm ok.

Casey Heater

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost