AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User1 Field Customization

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
robbm2k
1048 Views, 11 Replies

User1 Field Customization

When adding or editing catalog records, I use the USER1 field for our company part number. I'd like the text next to the open field (currently labeled "USER1) to be relabeled as "Company PT #" or something to that effect. Where do I change this? In the DCL files in the c:\program files...\support folder??
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rstein
in reply to: robbm2k

iomaxx,
If you are looking to have this displayed this way in reports you can change it in the BOM Report, then click on Change Report Format button after running the report. then you can add User1 to the fields to report then select User1 from the right column. After that there is a text field that you can use to rename the heading. let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Thanks
Rob Stein
www.robstein.blogs.com
Message 3 of 12
MartinLee

The only way that I know of to change this so that your dialog box displays your heading is to edit the Default_Cat.mdb file and change the column heading in each table. But now you have a customized file, so be certain that you have a backup copy of it.
Message 4 of 12
robbm2k

i already figured out how to change it in reports, but my company would prefer that we be able to label it in the catalog entry field this way as well (to make it easier than telling everyone to remember that USER1=company pt #).
Message 5 of 12
robbm2k

i talked with someone i worked with that works with Access quite a bit and he said if i relabeled the column header in the database file that it would lose its linking capability throughout ACADE, so i think we're going to try and steer away from that method unless you know it works without causing problems.
Message 6 of 12
robbm2k

i've been in looking thru wdcat.dcl in the c:\program files...\support folder. i've tried editing it to adjust the size of the user fields to allow less characters in each field (while in the add catalog record dialog box), and i cannot get this to work either...anyone have any more thoughts?

this is the section of the dialog defintion file that i've altered, and i've tried restarting ACADE and it still won't take effect. do i need to alter the following code for ACADE to recognize it or is there another file i should be looking at to alter the "add catalog record" dialog box?

:row
{ // USER2
fixed_width=true;
spacer_1;
text{
label= "company pt #";
width=15;key="t12";} // ** 13-Jan-04 NEHolt widened
:edit_box{key="f12";edit_width=25;edit_limit=8;}
:button{
label= /*dcl_cat_030*/"List";
key="lst12";is_tab_stop=false;}
Message 7 of 12
MartinLee

This is the way we have done this for several years. Our USER1 field is STOCK_No. The "awesome Nate" made the original suggestion, and we've not had any problems. The nice thing is that whatever catalog dialog box ACE opens, it shows "STOCK_No." in the USER1 field. Try it and see. Make a backup copy of the DEFAULT_CAT.MDB file, and edit the original. If you have problems, delete the edited file and remanme the backup copy and you are back to where you started. You may wish to change just a couple of tables to see that it works.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

This is not the case with AutoCAD Electrical. Searches in the database table are not based on the header tab, but on the column position within the table. For example, column two is always used as the first query field in the parts catalog lookup table.

The labels used in ACE dialog boxes are read from the database, so if you change a column heading in the database, it is changed everywhere in ACE.

Let us know if you have more questions, and as always, be sure to backup often.
Message 9 of 12
robbm2k

Great! Thanks, i was looking for an explanation to assure me why it'd be ok to change the column headers. Works great, thanks. Just curious, we're thinking of using the user2 and user3 fields for initialing and dating when records were added or edited. Just wondering if anyone else had done this and if they found any pros/cons to doing it...
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Just for a follow-up. I have a custom database and have renamed the user1 column in all of my tables and the system runs fine
Message 11 of 12
mako68
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Is this really working? Can we rename the database fields as we want. We want to use the local language in all headings (MANUFACTURER, CATALOG, ASSEMBLYCODE... etc). Does it work in all tables (pinlists?)

Mako68

Message 12 of 12
dougmcalexander
in reply to: mako68

You can rename the fields, but you must do it in the table for each device family.  There is a separate table in the default_cat.mdb file for each type of device, since the data for each type of device might vary, and thus the column headers could be different.  So each User field in each table would need to be renamed.  I usually just rename the USER field in my saved reports.  That way my report might show USER1 as INTERNAL PART NO., instead of USER1.  You can rename any field, once you move it into a report.  Then save it as a report format (.set) file.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost