AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User part numbers

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
brstilson
695 Views, 16 Replies

User part numbers

Is there a way to associate additional part numbers to the catalog numbers used in AutoCAD electrical. We have our own stock numbers for a lot of components and it would be really nice if I could add them to the BOM. Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I'm not sure what to search for. Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
MartinLee
in reply to: brstilson

Among all of the fields available for each component enty in the parts database catalog are three that are labeled USER1, USER2, and USER3. You can put your stock number in one of those. When you run the BOM remport, change the column heading from USER1 to STOCK NUMBER.
Message 3 of 17
brstilson

Thanks. Is Access required for this since it's an mdb database?
Message 4 of 17
dougmcalexander

MS Access is only required if you want to edit the database directly. Adding your own part number to one of the user fields can be done in the Lookup dialog from within ACADE, by selecting the part and clicking Edit. If you have Access 2000 or later, you can go into the database, usually default_cat.mdb unless you have renamed it, and change the column names of User1, User2, or User3 to Internal P/N, Isle, Bin, or whatever you wish.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 17

I changed the user field to our internal part number and accidentally moved it location . Do you think it will mess everything?

I am stuck here - When I insert a component and use the  secondary catalog with the user field which I changed to include our part number, the user field column I changed doesn't update or fill the attribute properties  in the enhanced attribute. Also, when I select my catalog info from the secondary catalog, the ok is greyed out. 

This is really holding me up . Please let me know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,,

Message 6 of 17
lionSG
in reply to: Justin2012

ACE reserved the first 16 fields for their catalog table structure.

3 user fields are available which you can rename the field column name if necessary but

do not edit the first 16 fields structure in term of order or data type format as these are reserved and can caused error in ACE.

But you can add any additional fields after these 16 fields.

For your secondary catalog, I suspect that there are no any records in the particular family table, so the button is greyed.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 17
Justin2012
in reply to: lionSG

I rename the field and move it to the left.

The secondary catalog has a family table for the component but not the default. Or I need to add it to the default catalog too?

Message 8 of 17
lionSG

Rename the user column name is fine but do not changed the order of the column for the first 16fields.

For the family code if it is a self user defined or it is only used in your secondary catalog, I think you dont need to add them in the default catalog.  

Message 9 of 17
Justin2012

Can someone advise why the DR(Drives) database is starting with a USER2 field instead of a USER1 . I usually use the USER1 field for my internal part but with this, it makes it difficult.

Also, when I rename the field to USER1 it still doesn't work. What's the best approach to fix this please? Thx

Message 10 of 17
algerj

Hi Justin,

In Drives "Options" actually uses the User1 field.

You could move the "Options" Column to the user 2 location (move it over to the right).

Then rename the User2 column to your part number.

Before I get a comment that it might bust the connection to the column... yes it probably will, but there are only a few of the drives that actually use that options field so it shouldn't really matter.

(you should still be able to access it in the BOM using User2 after moving it)

I hope this helps,

James Alger  

Message 11 of 17
lionSG

Maybe you can create a new drive Family Table in the default catalog database or just rename the Option to User1.

Message 12 of 17
Justin2012
in reply to: algerj

When I moved the "OPTION" column to the left it still doesn't work. That is, the access spreadsheet is showing as moved but when I click on LOOK UP it is still showing the old/default set up.

Also, I went to access and changed the required field to NO but it still doesn't work. 

I seem not to understand what I am doing wrong. I will appreciate any help. Thanks.

Message 13 of 17
lionSG

Go to Access and just rename the columns from OPTION to USER1.

Dont move the database table columns especailly for the first 16 fields reserved by ACE. 

Goto the catalog lookup under DR, you should be able to see the newly named column user1. 

Thanks.

Message 14 of 17
Justin2012

That is what I ended up doing but I need some of the OPTIONS data too. My question is, if I change it to USER1 and put my data in the field, is there a way to also include the data that comes with the OPTION column?

Any idea on how to change the REQUIRED FIELD pls?

Thanks

Message 15 of 17
algerj

Hi Justin,

Yeah MS Access Can be fun you have to make these changes while in the "Design View", not in "Datasheet View".

The Electrical Database Reflects what is in the "Design View", that's actually where you create your new fields and assign property data.

So in order to do what you want follow these steps:

0. Save a BACKUP copy of the Database!

1. Copy the Options Data to USER2 (rename it options if you want to next)

2. Delete the exists options Column

3. Insert a new Field Rename USER1

4. Change to the Design View

5. Reorder the fields (User 2 should be above User1 Since we Deleted the original Options location)

6. If Required Set the Required Property to Yes in the design View.

7. Save the Changes to the table.

8. open AutoCAD Electrical, perform a lookup  (options should now appear in the user2 Field, freeing User1 for your Custom Part number)

MS_Access_Properties.png

(Design View Options Screenshot)

Or Copy an Existing table with User1, User2, and User3 unused, Then Copy in the Data that you need.

I'm assuming that you would not need all 4000 entries. (besides The Drives Table is sort of Broken It doesn't always show everything that is in the database.) 

So Re-Creating the Table will probably be the best solution.

To Recreate the drive table:

0. Save a BACKUP copy of the database!

1. Rename the Existing Drive table from DR  to DR-1 (or something)

2. Copy a table (like MO or PB)

3. Paste the table and choose to copy only the Column headers (Do not Copy the data.)

4. RENAME the table to "DR" during the Paste procedure 

5. Open both tables Side by side if you can, then Copy information over one Column at a time.

6. Save the table

7. Delete  DR-1 (make sure you copy everything you want.)

8. Start AutoCAD Electrical, do a lookup and it should work fine.  

I hope this helps,

James Alger

SolidCAD

Message 16 of 17
Justin2012
in reply to: algerj

Thanks! I am getting somewhere now....I changed the HP field(DR table) to NOT required but it still comes as required. What you thing I can be doing wrong?

Message 17 of 17
algerj

Hmmm,

Not sure why thats not working for you.

I had issues trying to get the required field to stick in the Datasheet view.

Once i switched to the Design view and made the change mine worked.

Can you grab a screenshot of the table in Design view and post it?

Maybe I'll see a setting that needs to be toggled.

On a side note, Is there a reason you need to remove the required flag?

You could just make the changes in the Access database, then it doesn't care if it has the "required" feild.

Regards,

James Alger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost