AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating drawing name value (the %D value)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gvang
1349 Views, 5 Replies

Updating drawing name value (the %D value)

I've been a long time user of ACE 08 but have never set-up the 'dwgnam" value in the title block. I recently figure that in order to make off-page wire referencing work, I would need to set the "dwgnam" attribute in the title block and have done so. My question is is the "dwgnam" suppose to auto update upon doing a project "title block update" (similar to the "sheet" value)? It seems to work if I manually type in the drawing name from drawing properties. Please let me know how this value works and how it gets updated.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: gvang

To get the dwgnam to update, the data has to
present in the 'Drawing' box in the sheet values section of the drawing
settings. When you do a 'Title Block Update', you need to select the check box
next to 'Drawing (%D value)'. This will let the function know to update this
value.

I assume you have the drawing attribute mapped to
drawing setting in your title block setup...

Regards Brad

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">I've
been a long time user of ACE 08 but have never set-up the 'dwgnam" value in
the title block. I recently figure that in order to make off-page wire
referencing work, I would need to set the "dwgnam" attribute in the title
block and have done so. My question is is the "dwgnam" suppose to auto update
upon doing a project "title block update" (similar to the "sheet" value)? It
seems to work if I manually type in the drawing name from drawing properties.
Please let me know how this value works and how it gets
updated.
Message 3 of 6
gvang

Brad,

When you say...data has to be present in the "drawing" box in the sheet value sections of the drawing setting, are you saying that this data has to be manually inputted for each drawing from that location? My question is does the drawing value (%D value) auto update...similar to that of the sheet value (%S value) when doing a "title block update"? Yes, the check-box is checked and the attribute is mapped correctly (see below for "wd_tb" setting). let me know your thoughts.

( OWNER = LINE1;JOBTITLE = LINE2;CONTENT = LINE3;ENG = LINE4;DFT = LINE5;STATUS = LINE6;DATE = LINE7;JOB = LINE8;SHT = SHEET;MAX = SHEETMAX;FILE = FILENAME;SECT = DWGSEC;DESC1 = DD1;DESC2 = DD2;DESC3 = DD3;R1 = LINE18;R1DATE = LINE19;R1BY = LINE20;R1DESC = LINE21;R2 = LINE22;R2DATE = LINE23;R2BY = LINE24;R2DESC = LINE25;R3 = LINE26;R3DATE = LINE27;R3BY = LINE28;R3DESC = LINE29;R4 = LINE30;R4DATE = LINE31;R4BY = LINE32;R4DESC = LINE33;DSTAMP = PLOTDATE;TSTAMP = PLOTTIME;{color:#ff0000}DWG = DWGNAM ){color}
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

OK...

No the drawing value does not auto update. It
actually represents the drawing number/name. It has to be set once in that
position to for each dwg. This makes it possible to have dwgs that use letters
in the dwg number with no problems.

Regards Brad

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Brad,

When
you say...data has to be present in the "drawing" box in the sheet value
sections of the drawing setting, are you saying that this data has to be
manually inputted for each drawing from that location? My question is does the
drawing value (%D value) auto update...similar to that of the sheet value (%S
value) when doing a "title block update"? Yes, the check-box is checked and
the attribute is mapped correctly (see below for "wd_tb" setting). let me know
your thoughts.

( OWNER = LINE1;JOBTITLE = LINE2;CONTENT
= LINE3;ENG = LINE4;DFT = LINE5;STATUS = LINE6;DATE = LINE7;JOB = LINE8;SHT =
SHEET;MAX = SHEETMAX;FILE = FILENAME;SECT = DWGSEC;DESC1 = DD1;DESC2 =
DD2;DESC3 = DD3;R1 = LINE18;R1DATE = LINE19;R1BY = LINE20;R1DESC = LINE21;R2 =
LINE22;R2DATE = LINE23;R2BY = LINE24;R2DESC = LINE25;R3 = LINE26;R3DATE =
LINE27;R3BY = LINE28;R3DESC = LINE29;R4 = LINE30;R4DATE = LINE31;R4BY =
LINE32;R4DESC = LINE33;DSTAMP = PLOTDATE;TSTAMP = PLOTTIME;{color:#ff0000}DWG
= DWGNAM ){color}
Message 5 of 6
tonymynd

Hello Gvang!

I tryed many ways and still can't make AutoCAD Electrical to automatically update the Drawing value, this way my file name would be automatically inserted in all my references. WHICH IS GREAT

Why? BECAUSE I DON'T have to manually input the values in the Drawin text box on each drawing properties Dialog Box and the Magic here is tha I CAN USE %D in all my xrefs !

Please see atachment, I'm hoping you can see my problem

Message 6 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: tonymynd

Generally, once you set the dwg number, it does not change. The sheet number can change depending on various things which is why this will update automatically when the correct command is used.

Whenever I start a new dwg, this is one of the setting I fill in, along with all the other settings in this dialog.

The company I work for uses a three part dwg number so I have three attribute set up in the title block.

The first part is the Project (or job) number (6 characters), followed by the dwg number (2 characters), finally followed by the sheet number (also 2 characters).

The project number is set in the Project descriptions and doesn't change from dwg to dwg.

However, both the dwg number and the sheet number are set in the drawing settings. The dwg number also will not change but the sheet number will as it is moved around in the sheet set for that particular dwg.

In your situatuation, you may want to have the attribute you mapped for the dwg number to actually be mapped to the filename. This will then automatically update the number you see on the dwg when you run the title block update... You just need to make sure the checkbox is selected for it.

Only problem is this will not affect your sheet references. You may have to try putting the %F in your cross reference setup. However you will have to do a full project cross reference update each time your filename updates.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost