AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

Contributor
mckuiper
Message 1 of 28 (1,046 Views)

Update Wire Signal and Stand-Alone Cross-Reference not working

1046 Views, 27 Replies
08-31-2011 03:32 AM

Since a few weeks i use Autocad Electrical 2012 and when i will update my signal references, it doesn't work.

I used the box from the pulldown menu Wires>Signal References>Update Signal References.

(I use the autocad electrical classic menu and not the ribbon menu)

In the box i have only checked "Update source/destination Cross-references" en then i click on Project Wide.

In the older versions it works but now it doesn't work anymore.

Can someone help me?

*Expert Elite*
rhesusminus
Message 2 of 28 (1,023 Views)

Re: Update Wire Signal and Stand-Alone Cross-Reference not working

08-31-2011 05:31 AM in reply to: mckuiper

Can you be more specific? What happens when you press "Project-Wide"? Nothing? The dialogbox where you select what drawings to process... does it appear?

THL

THL
Please select "Accept As Solution" if this post answers your question. Kudos don't hurt either. ;-)
Active Contributor
eric.powell
Message 3 of 28 (1,025 Views)

08-31-2011 05:32 AM in reply to: mckuiper

I have the same problem in 2011 and I'm told by AutoCAD that this was not fixed in 2012.  Awhile back I was given some files to test in v2 of 2011 and the problem went away, but when I upgraded to 2011 v3 the problem came back, so AutoCAD told me to uninstall v3.  So I'm stuck on 2011 v2 since I use hundreds of source/destination arrows in each of my projects.

The only work around I was able to find was to run the update command drawing by drawing.  Do not use the project wide command.

Employee
murnenp
Message 4 of 28 (1,018 Views)

08-31-2011 05:41 AM in reply to: eric.powell

Can you provide more specifics and possibly post a small project with drawings? Eric's statement is pretty broad that this feature does not work but that is not the case. There are very specific circumstances in the logged issue so if there are broader issues I would like to get them logged to get this issue resolved.

Please include the version of AcadE you are using, i.e.. service packs installed, and the exact steps you run. If you can't upload a project you can email it directly to me at pat.murnen@autodesk.com.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Information Modeling and Platform Products Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
mckuiper
Message 5 of 28 (1,014 Views)

08-31-2011 05:41 AM in reply to: rhesusminus

When i press Project Wide then i see the dialog box where i can select the drawings to update.

When i say to update them, autocad update nothing and the xref off the signals stay empty.

Contributor
mckuiper
Message 6 of 28 (1,008 Views)

08-31-2011 05:58 AM in reply to: murnenp

Pat,

In the attachment you see some screenshots with the way i do the signal reference update.

There is also a TEST project with some DWG files where i test it.

My Autocad version is: 9.0.50.0 AutoCAD Electrical 12.0 English

I don't have service packs installed.

*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 7 of 28 (990 Views)

08-31-2011 08:09 AM in reply to: mckuiper

Just for curiosity I downloaded your project and tried it.  Since I use Electrical everyday when I'm not teaching it, I usually spot irregularities like this, but I haven't noticed any problems with signal reference updates in versions 2011 or 2012.  I'm testing currently with version 2012 on Win XP Pro 32-bit with all service packs installed.

I tried project-wide signal reference updates on your project using both the ribbon menu and the classic menu, with no problems.  I also tried the update using both SDI mode and MDI mode, again with no problems.

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
Employee
murnenp
Message 8 of 28 (986 Views)

08-31-2011 08:14 AM in reply to: mckuiper

I can reproduce the issue under the circumstances where I select to do the Wire Signals update but only check the top check box within that area and do a project-wide update. If you check both boxes in the Wire Signals area and do a project-wide it appears to work as it should.

I will log this issue. Is there any down-side to checking both boxes for now until this issue is resolved?

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 9 of 28 (982 Views)

08-31-2011 08:19 AM in reply to: murnenp

Pat, I see what you're seeing, but I have never unchecked that box.  I leave it at the default setting, so I have never noticed an issue.  I've never had a situation where I did not want my wire number tags updated.

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
Employee
murnenp
Message 10 of 28 (977 Views)

08-31-2011 08:23 AM in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug,

Yes, I think leaving them both checked would be the norm. I couldn't come up with a reason not to check it but maybe I am just not thinking of some circumstances. But, I have logged this.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community