AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to save drawings

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
junkinjam
789 Views, 6 Replies

Unable to save drawings

Hello,

I'm suddenly having an issue with saving some of my drawings in a project. When I try to move to the next/prev, or is I close and click 'yes' to save changes, I get a message saying that the drawing 'is being accessed by another session' and it's being saved as a .tmp drawing! The drawing isn't open anywhere else, so I'm confused as to why this is happening.

Any thoughts? I am using ACADE 2010.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
electricman1
in reply to: junkinjam

Sounds like someone else opened the file, but I believe it would give the user's login name.

Could be many other reasons, I would recommend saving the file to a temporary location and restart ACADE/reboot your machine.

Message 3 of 7
Wheelie22

And a few of these :

sav15D9.tmp

in your project directory ?

If you try again in a second, it might save.

I sometimes have the same with XL or W so its the PC or network.

Big Brother / W / Billl / NSA, one of these. Smiley Mad

Always check if you have all of your drawings, if not rename these tmp files to dwg.

I think that during the making of a bak file something goes wrong.

Message 4 of 7
junkinjam

Yes, had a few of those .tmp files in the folder. I did find that if I waited a little I could then save the drawings. It must have been our slow server or my computer being lazy.

Thanks for the reply!

Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
TheWalrus

I am also having this issue.

We are running AutoCAD Electrical 2012 on Windows 7 64-bit machines.  The drawings are hosted on a network server and we use the 'always available' feature in Windows 7, though quite honestly our network has been extremely robust.

Every time I try to QSAVE a dwg file after working on it, I get the same message as in the OP (original post) of this thread.  If I immediately try to QSAVE a second time, it works.

I have also noticed that coincidental to this issue popping up, if AutoCAD is shut down inadvertently and a drawing has not been properly QSAVE'd, it disappears!  I just have to look for the .tmp file and rename it to recover. Fortunately, I have a habit of saving often as I simply do not trust autosave, so I haven't lost any work due to this failure.

However, none of this should be happening.  Does anyone have any insight as to WHY it is happening, and how I can make it stop?  This is new behavior that has started within the last few days.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 7
pendean

AutoCAD's QSAVE process is as follows:
- TMP file is created.
- BAK file is deleted.
- DWG file is renamed BAK
- TMP file is renamed DWG

Now you can determine what stopped working based on whatever you end up with after 'failed' QSAVE.
Message 7 of 7
TheWalrus

I found out why I was unable to save normally.  The wdp file for the project had it's attribute changed to read only.  Removing that attribute fixed my problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost