AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USER Report cable.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
German_Autocad
634 Views, 6 Replies

USER Report cable.

I am triying to make a report with special numbering cable.

I need to generate a cable marker with the following:

[Panel From]-[CMP1]:[PIN1]/[Panel To]-[CMP2]:[PIN2]

Thanks a lots.

Best regards.

Germán Bardier.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
kghew1
in reply to: German_Autocad

In a From / To Report, 'Panel From' and 'Panel To' can be represented by giving each panel and its associated components a location code, and then reporting these as LOC1 & LOC 2 respectively.

Panel identity LOC1 & device tag CMP1 can be combined as a single term IECCMP1, as can LOC2 & CMP2 (IECCMP2).

and

Device tag CMP1 & terminal identity PIN1 can be combined as a single term CMP:PIN1, as can CMP2 & PIN2 (CMP:PIN2).

but...

The combination you're after, 'LOC1{-}CMP:PIN1{/}LOC2{-}CMP:PIN2' is not possible within the AE report itself,

especially as extra characters are required. You will need to save the report as a spreadsheet and do any further manipulation within Excel. Attached for reference are details of all fields available in From / To Reports.

Hope this helps.

Keith H

Message 3 of 7
kghew1
in reply to: kghew1

Sorry about the smileys - the system obviously doesn't like the combination of 'colon' and 'P'
Message 4 of 7
German_Autocad

Ok. Thank you for the information. Good to know that I have to handle it in excel.

Now we have to generate the report and after get it back the excel into the autocad.

Which is the best way to get the excel again in the autocad, mantaining a link or without?

Message 5 of 7
kghew1

There will be no link as such, once the data has been massaged in Excel, but the spreadsheet should be

import-able into virtually all the cable marker printing systems that I've come across.

If you also want to embed the marker listing into drawing(s) within your AE project, simply copy the required array of cells and paste them into a blank drawing as an object, then size this to fit the drawing border as required.

In case you were wondering, the 'update from spreadsheet' function is not applicable here, as it refers to a spreadsheet already created using 'export to', and is merely a means of quickly adding data to symbols

- for instance, putting a manufacturer's name in the MFG attributes of a large number of relay symbols.

You could possibly manually add a column of from / to marker data into the RATINGn fields of a group of cable markers in a spreadsheet created using 'export to', but making sure that the right data went into the right marker symbols could be very long-winded and prone to error.

Regards

Keith H

Message 6 of 7
German_Autocad

Keith, 

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Do you know if Autocad will be update this kind of solutions in any service pack?

Because it does not seem to be very diffcult to implement and could be really helpful.

As a comment,we are in the middle of a discussion (near a war) in our enterprise between Desing Engineer and Project Engineer, because they (the field electricians and Ingineer) were used to work with some old Cable connection table, and we (the design engineer) decided to start to work with ACADE, and decided to change their old table. Argueing that the benefits of the ACADE, the direct uptdate between the electrical drawings and the connections table (and the minimization of the error creating this tables) was our biggest argument, not now any more of course...

Any way.

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Message 7 of 7
jdenny

German,

The entire reason our company is using ACADE is to solve the problem of cable labeling data as you have described. It is very simple to create a custom Cale from/to report with ACADE and then save it to excel. At that point, just create a simple macro that concatenates whatever data you want and puts it into a new cell for the label printing software to use. There is no easy way to import that data back into your drawing unless you were to create some blank attributes for you symbols and use the import/export function (or scratch database maybe). If you have a really compelling reason why this should be imported back into the drawing, please let me know as I will investigate myself and try to work on it. It sounds like we are trying to resolve the same issue.

Thanks,
Jeff
-----------------------------
Jeff Denny
Sr. Engineering Manager
Harris Corporation
Melbourne, Florida

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost