*Expert Elite*
rhesusminus
Message 1 of 8 (351 Views)
Accepted Solution

Trouble with ASSYCODE

351 Views, 7 Replies
12-12-2012 01:42 AM

Hi.

I've attached a small project, showing the problem.

On one instance of a component, I wan't to add one extra of a subpart, so I change the assembly code from "AC100;AC200" to "AC100;2,AC200" manually. In the component database, the assycode is set to "AC100;AC200".

What seems to happen, is that if the assycode in the symbol doesn't match the assycode in the catalog, the description for the "main" part disappears... Not just in the catalog check, but also in the BOM report. Bug or feature?

See pictures

Before:

Before.PNG

After:

After.PNG

THL
Please select "Accept As Solution" if this post answers your question. Kudos don't hurt either. ;-)
*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 2 of 8 (328 Views)

Re: Trouble with ASSYCODE

12-13-2012 12:53 AM in reply to: rhesusminus

If you are keying in the assembly code on the fly, for the flexibility of adding more than one subassembly part to a master part that is not set up as a master, your method should work.  But if the Master does have a code you must match the exact code.  The 2,AC200 to add a second AC200 will not represent an exact match if AC100;AC200 is the code assigned to the master.  Remove the ASSYCODE entry from the master and your code should work.  But if you want a permanent relationship of qty 1 of AC100 and qty 2 of AC200 set the Count field to "2" for the AC200 record in the catalog database.

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
*Expert Elite*
rhesusminus
Message 3 of 8 (325 Views)

12-13-2012 03:12 AM in reply to: dougmcalexander

So... The answer to my question is that this is a feature?

Strange though that it's just the description for the main part that disappears, while everything else is ok.

It just doesn't make any sense that this shouldn't work.

THL
Please select "Accept As Solution" if this post answers your question. Kudos don't hurt either. ;-)
*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 4 of 8 (306 Views)

12-13-2012 05:49 PM in reply to: rhesusminus

According to the ACADE 2008 help files, the semi colon is the correct way to seperate different sub part codes. and the '2,' before the assembly code is the correct way to add multiple sub parts.

If this has changed in later issues it should be documented.

I have noted that if you make a change to the catalog entry, you have to select it, exit to the component edit screen and then do a second lookup and selection to have the correct data disply in the catalog check screen.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

Contributor
bpasqualini
Message 5 of 8 (296 Views)

12-14-2012 02:32 AM in reply to: Icemanau

Hi,

I totally agree.

I have already reported this to Autodesk last year but there was no reaction.

Best regards

*Expert Elite*
rhesusminus
Message 6 of 8 (293 Views)

12-14-2012 02:48 AM in reply to: Icemanau

This seems to be "the problem", and I have trouble seeing the logic here.

If an item in the catalog database has an assycode, the assycode in the edit component dialog MUST match the catalog.

If an item in the catalog database has an empty assycode, the assycode in the edit component dialog can be whatever you want. Empty og something you've specified manually.

I see that I works this way, but can't see any reason to why it should be like this? The flexibility of the program would be much greater if one could specify whatever one would like in the assycode textbox.

So, Autodesk: Is there a reason for the functionality to be like this, or can I add this for the wishlist of feature changes?

THL
*Expert Elite*
rhesusminus
Message 7 of 8 (192 Views)

01-03-2013 02:05 AM in reply to: rhesusminus

*bump* Autodesk?

THL
*Expert Elite*
rhesusminus
Message 8 of 8 (144 Views)

01-14-2013 10:23 PM in reply to: rhesusminus

*rebump*

Autodesk?

THL

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community