AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title block and symbol buider

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
Justin2012
1123 Views, 50 Replies

Title block and symbol buider

Does anyone know a link or video where I can better understand the creation of title block and using symbol? what I find here is so generic. I will appreciate any help please. I am currently stock.

50 REPLIES 50
Message 41 of 51
Justin2012
in reply to: testsubject

Message 42 of 51
testsubject
in reply to: Justin2012

Sorry about that Justin. I am running 2013 but I have it set to save as 2010. I was not aware that ACAD automatically uses the highest save revision when creating .dwt files regardless of what the Saveas is set to. I resaved it as a 2010 .dwg.

Open it in ACE and resave it as a .dwt and it will save as a 2010 .dwt. Then use this template file whenever you need to create a New Drawing.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 43 of 51
Justin2012

Got it now. Does the swap/update tool works with title block.

Thanks for all the help.

Message 44 of 51
testsubject

Justin,

I forgot to include the base drawing that the "New Titleblock.dwt" was created from.

If you use Swap/Update block with this "Titleblock.dwg" drawing it will update existing titleblocks.

This is the block that is in "New Titleblock.dwt"

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 45 of 51
Justin2012

When I use the swap/update tool the entire title block disappear and nothing is updated. Do you know what might be the issue?

Message 46 of 51
testsubject

Post a copy of the drawing in which you are trying to swap the titleblock so I can check it out.

In the future, if you are having trouble with a specific drawing always post a copy of the file because  we will not have to delay responding by having to ask for a copy.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 47 of 51
Justin2012

Attached is the dwg. Replace the TXXX dwg with the other and let me see if it will work on your end. I think the name might be the issue but not quite sure. Let me know

Thanks.

Message 48 of 51
testsubject

Justin,

Somehow, you inserted border_title2.dwg as a block back into the same drawing. This was causing the Swap/Update Block to crash because the Block was calling itself from within the drawing. After purging the blocks from border_title2.dwg it swapped just fine although you should not use it for swapping.

Use the original drawing that you created border_title2.dwg from for swapping, not border_title2.dwg itself. Border_title2.dwg already has a block with the titleblock information on it and ACE does not work well with nested blocks for title block update. The titleblock you are swapping with should show all the attributes when you open it by itself.

Looks like you are getting closer.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 49 of 51
Justin2012

Please walk me through how you "purge" this title block to fix it so I can do the same for my other title blocks. Also , what do you mean by it shouldn't be use for swapping?

When I resave the title block using another name it does work. Is this also a good approach?

Thanks again. 

Message 50 of 51
testsubject

Justin,

Purge is a basic Autocad command.

Here is the wiki for Autocad 2011. Search here for help with plain Autocad commands.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/AutoCAD/enu/2011

Here is the WIki on how to use Autocad Electrical.  Search here for help with Autocad  Electrical commands.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/AutoCAD_Electrical/enu/2011

I recommend spending some time studying with these two wikis to familiarize yourself with how to use Autocad and Autocad Electrical more efficiently.

As I mentioned in  the previous post, Autocad Electrical does not work well with nested blocks.; i.e., Drawing "A" (which has no blocks) is a block in Drawing "B" which is a block in Drawing "C".

You should always use Drawing "A' for swapping blocks, not Drawing "B" or Drawing "C".

If you are not using a template to create your new drawings, copying border_title2.dwg to your new drawing would work. If you have a template created though, you can use the Autocad Electrical's ability to create a new drawing and apply the project's properties to the new drawing during drawing creation.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 51 of 51

Justin, you would benefit, as have many of us, from attending a training course for AutoCAD Electrical.  I will be teaching in Atlanta in late July, if you are interested.  This is an open class that covers the essentials.  It is the least expensive course I teach.  I throw in as many of my tips and tricks as time permits.  This class is being organized by Applied Software in Atlanta.  Contact Applied Software for more information.  (www.asti.com)  I have attached a screen capture from their web site.  The class size is limited to 8 attendees.  They can let you know if they have an open spot or they can let you know when they might offer another class in the future.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost