AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title block and symbol buider

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
Justin2012
1157 Views, 50 Replies

Title block and symbol buider

Does anyone know a link or video where I can better understand the creation of title block and using symbol? what I find here is so generic. I will appreciate any help please. I am currently stock.

50 REPLIES 50
Message 2 of 51
CAD-ICE
in reply to: Justin2012

I would suggest that you have a look at Dough´s McAlexanders site www.ecadconsutant.com

There are lot´s of things shown that will give you good insight to many things in ACADE.

Regards, Gary

Message 3 of 51
Justin2012

The site is not accessible. Can you please look into it and let me know? If you have  another site or video please send it to me also. Thanks and waiting to hear from you.

Message 4 of 51
testsubject

Looks like Gary missed a letter...

http://www.ecadconsultant.com/

I second his recommendation. Doug's site is loaded with great info.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 5 of 51
Justin2012
in reply to: testsubject

I am stock on the second step on creating border template which says "Inside the Border Template folder create a new text file names Border_Template_wdtitle.wdl". Please assist how this is created...Thanks.

Message 6 of 51
testsubject

When you created the new project, a folder was created with the same name. In this folder you will create a text file (using Notepad) called Border_Template_wdtitle.wdl. I am assuming that you used just followed along with the example and created the project with the same name.

Be sure to use SaveAs and set the filetype to All Files or it will append a .txt filetype to the file and it will not work.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 7 of 51
Justin2012

I created  a title block template and add it to my project. Now I realise I didn't pick everything in the title block setup to customize the project description using notepad or wordpad. How can I fix this without exploding, title block setup and reinserting the new title block on the project. 

Message 8 of 51
testsubject

If I understand this correctly, all you need to do is add the line descriptions that match the new items in your wdl file.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 9 of 51
Justin2012

Thats what I did and it keeps saying shop_order(no change) and "drafter" attribute not found on title block. . What does that mean?

Also, is there another appoach to add a new attribute through out a schematic without going through each componenet one at a time?

Thanks for your help!Please...

Message 10 of 51
testsubject

There is no easy way to add an attribute to an existing package.  The most direct way is to change the original block and then use the Swap/Update block utility to change all instances of that block in the whole project. You will have to do this with each block in the package.

As for your original question, maybe if you post the titleblock and .wdl file so that I can look at it. This might shed some light on what is happening.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 11 of 51

If you double-click your drawing template file a new drawing will be opened using that template.  Use the Add Attribute command to add an attribute where needed.  Be sure to set t to visible if you wish to see it.  Re-save the drawing as a template, but also save as a DWG file.  Use Swap/Update Block to replace the drawing border in existing drawings that have already been added to a project.  Your border is nothing more than another block inside a drawing. That is why you can use Swap/Update Block to replace a border.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 12 of 51

Doug,

I might be doing it wrong but when I double click on the drawing template the Enhanced Attribute Editor open and not a new drawing. Please let me know what Iam doin worng or an example.  I have a 6 page schematic and I want to add an attribute of our company part # to some fuses, relays etc. Using the add attribute command I will have to go through the entire schematic/pages which I think is quite some work.

Please help. Thanks

Message 13 of 51
Icemanau

To open the block as a stand alone dwg, double click on it in whichever windows file management program you use, not in an open dwg.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 51
Anonymous

Hi Justin

I have empathy with your questions especially with Symbol builder.

IMHO some basic training is required for the concepts as it is a complex animal but a kitten once you get to know it.

Doug's site has lots of good stuff but it took me a while (on my own - no one to talk to) to understand it.

I must be getting slow at learning.  Wrong side of 60 and third career.

Cheers  jq

Message 15 of 51
Justin2012
in reply to: Anonymous

All I am asking is an easier way to add a new attribute to some components in a schematic. I can do it the old way by using the add attribute command but as you know it will take forever but I guess I don't have a choice.

Thanks by the way.

Message 16 of 51
Justin2012

Bob,

Attached is the title block and .wdl file per your request. For some reason it is not updating title block. Please let me know what I am doing worng.

I really appreciate your assistance.

Message 17 of 51
testsubject

Justin,

There is no easy way to do what you are asking. The easist way of doing it though has been suggested in this this thread.

Open the component drawing.

Add the attribute and save.

Use Swap/Update Block on the whole project to add the new attribute to all references of component.

Repeat as often as needed.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 18 of 51

If it is a component that you wish to add an attribute to, that it is easily done.  Edit the component file and add the attribute.  Use the Swap/Update Block utility to change all blocks project wide to the new version.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 19 of 51
Justin2012

I was sending the title block and wdl per your request.

I will spend some more time and try to fugure this out. Thanks . 

Message 20 of 51

I did not request those files but I looked at them.  I noticed that your title block has attributes which contain the "#" sign in their name.  You should insert an apostrophe before the "#" sign so the software doesn't interpret the "#" sign as an operator.  Notice the title block that Autodesk provided for the WDDEMO project.  Their is an attribute named CAD'# that is mapped to display the file name of the drawing. 

I avoid using the "#" sign.  I just use "No" for number because the apostrophe may not be noticeable to someone else who must interpret my method at a later date.  Be sure that you have no spaces in an attribute name.  If you wish to separate words use an underscore "_".

Also, do not put spaces between the entries in your _wdtitle.wdl file.  See below:

Incorrect:  LINE1 = Title 1

Correct:  LINE1=Title 1

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost