AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal block question

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
573 Views, 7 Replies

Terminal block question

Hey there ACADE Geniuses.  I have a question that I am sure has been brought up before, i just can't find the proper question on the forums.

The situation is this:  We are using a 'breakable' terminal block as a way to isolate field signals.  We would like to show the block as such, with a wire number change from 1 side to other.  The physical dimension of the symbol isn't really an issue at this point, consider it 2-3 'standard' terminals long for this exercise.  So, on the left side would be 1 wire number, generated automatically, and showing on the terminal.  Same scenario for the right side, with the center showing a knife-blade type disconenct symbol.  The wire numbers (if possible...) for the appropriate top and bottom would the particular side.  If not possible, thats not a huge deal.

I created a breakable terminal, using the correct options in the builder (horizontal terminal, TWC), and it splits the wire like it should, but it won't let me do ANY ACADE editing.  I have included the symbol I created.

I am hoping someone can at the very least point me in the right direction, and tell me what I am missing.

As always, thank you for the help

Doug

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rhesusminus
in reply to: Anonymous

You have done everything right, except the last little detail...

You have to name the symbol correctly.

Try renaming the file to something like HT10_TERM2_DISC and you should be able to see progress 🙂

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thank you.  It worked.  I also see what i did wrong to get it to save in the format it did.

Next question, related to this.  IS there a way to have the wire #s appear above the appropriate 'side' of the terminal block?  I tried using a duplicate X4TERM01', but that doesnt seem to be working like I imagined it would...

Message 4 of 8
rhesusminus

I don't think you can get the terminal symbol to display two wirenumbers. Maybe someone else can prove me wrong.

As a workaround... Maybe you can place a wirenumber copy close to the terminals connection points?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rhesusminus

I could, sure, but this is something that will be in larger doses, so the automation, if possible, would be ideal.  

Message 6 of 8
dougmcalexander

Have you tried the WIRENOL and WIRENOR attributes?  See the attached example of an Entrelec M4-6 block.  If you use the schematic terminal symbol that forces a wire number change, you can use the Terminal Strip Editor to dictate which side of the terminal receives which wire number.  See the attached example showing the TSE view and the resultant terminal strip.

Hint: Under the Edit Components ribbon panel you will also find commands to mark internal or external terminal connections on the schematic symbols.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

No love, using those attributes.  What drives the value of those?  Is it somethign behind the scenes, or is there some other format I need to be using?

As it sits, I used 'WIRENOL/WIRENOR' on the proper side, and it shows up as editable attributes, but then again, ANYTHING i put in there shows up as an editable atribute.

I also tried "WIRENOL01', btu that didnt work either.  'WIRENOX4', again nothing.

The closest I've come to 'success' is by using 'X4TERM01' and 'X1TERM01' on their respective sides, but its not automatic.  And yes, symbol builder screams at me that i have duplicate attributes, but i just ignore it.  It will work on the first insertion, when I do ATTSYNC, but not the others, even with the ATTSYNC.  So, I think I'mon the right track, just need that little push in the correct troubleshooting direction.

Doug

Message 8 of 8
Icemanau

I took a quick look and found that you have TERM01 on each side of the terminal.

While this is correct for terminals that pass the wire number through, you will need to have a X4TERM01 and an X1TERM02 on the appropriate sides for the different wire numbers.

Another problem is that the WIRENO attribute is not suitable for a terminal that changes the wire number. It is designed for those terminals that don't change the wire number.

For a terminal that changes the wire number, you are better off using the TERM01 attribute. This allows you to set the terminal number to match the required wire number.

The WIRENOL & WIRENOR attributes are for the panel footprints and won't work in the schematic.

I tried using the X?TERMDESC0? attribute, but you have to fill those in manually so I don't believe that would suit what you want.

You may be out of luck with getting the wire number to display as part of the block. You may have to place a Wire Number Copy near the terminal on both sides.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost