AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal Strip Editor Strange Problem

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
sekhar_pd
1439 Views, 13 Replies

Terminal Strip Editor Strange Problem

Dear All,

Attached is the screeshot of the terminal strip editor output, where strangely for +MCC-TB 01 terminal no 3 I have got the two connected terminals location 1 LCS and location 2 PLC.

Can any one help me why for other terminals I don't get both locations?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dougmcalexander
in reply to: sekhar_pd

That's odd. Did you define a wire sequence? You have 3 components in the network/node.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 14
rhesusminus

This is something the AEREBUILDALL command normally would fix...

If not, we'd have to take a look at the dwg-file...

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 14
sekhar_pd
in reply to: rhesusminus

@rhesusminus wrote:

This is something the AEREBUILDALL command normally would fix...

If not, we'd have to take a look at the dwg-file...

I couldn't find AEREBUILDALL command may be it is AEREBUILDDB.  After AEREBUILDDB also I am getting the same problem.  I am attaching the dwg file.

Message 5 of 14
rhesusminus

Hmm... Your drawing works fine here:

Capture.png

So, the problem must be somewhere else in your project, or in your AutoCAD Electrical installation.

How about closing AcadE and delete the scratch database file? Does this make any difference?

You can find the location and name of this database here:

Capture.png

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 6 of 14
sekhar_pd

@rhesusminus wrote:

Hmm... Your drawing works fine here:

Capture.png

So, the problem must be somewhere else in your project, or in your AutoCAD Electrical installation.

How about closing AcadE and delete the scratch database file? Does this make any difference?

You can find the location and name of this database here:

Capture.png

I am using acade 2012...I have tried the above steps....still not able to figure out the problem....may be this is a bug in acade 2012....by the way is there any issue regarding symbol naming conventions?

Message 7 of 14
rhesusminus

This seems to be a "connectivity" problem, so I don't see how symbol naming can do this.
The drawing you posted her, is that the entire drawing, or just a copy/paste of a small subset of a drawing into a blank drawing?
The,problem,might be elsewhere in the drawing....

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 8 of 14
sekhar_pd

Yes, The drawing I have attached is entire drawing....not a copy/paste one....Actually I have created a new acade project and I am experiencing the same problem...I have sent dwg file and it is having no problems at your end....may be problem with project settings??

If that is the case can you post project settings?
Message 9 of 14
rhesusminus

If you, in the reports tab, press DWG audit, on the Actrive Drawing only, and keep all options.... Does it show the connections like in this picture?

Capture.png

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 10 of 14
sekhar_pd

Hello Rhesusminus,

I see exactly after the audit.  However I am attaching the shot.

Message 11 of 14
dougmcalexander

I think the issue has to do with your custom symbols.  For example, +MCC-TB 01 appears to be a connector but the block name denotes terminal block.  But it doesn't carry all the necessary attributes of a terminal block, such as STRIPSEQ, LINKTERM, etc.  If I insert an actual connector symbol from the AutoCAD Electrical IEC library and use TSE to edit -X1 the connector appears in the TSE as it should, along with the other terminal +LCS-TB 01.  The issue is clearly related to your custom blocks.  That said, I can force the software to yield the results you desire by defining a wire sequence, as I mentioned in my first post.  (See attached image)  I have also attached my edited version of your file.

Why are you trying to treat a connector as a terminal, or vice versa?  What is the objective?  Maybe I can advise better after I know.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 12 of 14
sekhar_pd
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi dougmcalexander,

Thank you for your help, yes this technique worked...+MCC-TB 01 appears to be a sliding contact for the module....I have created a custom symbols following the rules using symbol editor horizontal terminal with TTN, TWC & TWN as well as vertical terminal using TTN, TWC & TWN.  I am using those as per my need depending whether wire number changes or not.

I have observed one strange thing while creating horizontal terminal ie., STRIPSEQ, LINKTERM have not appeared in symbol editor screen.  But they have appeared in vertical terminal.  I have ignored this because I didn't get any errors while saving the block.

Now answering your question 

Why are you trying to treat a connector as a terminal, or vice versa?  What is the objective?  Maybe I can advise better after I know.

I am rather confused by your question...Should I consider sliding contact as connector or terminal??  What is the basic difference between connector and terminal w.r.t ACADE.  or what is the industry practice ?  Please advise me.

I am very thankful to you.

Message 13 of 14
dougmcalexander

A connector usually involves pins and sockets located in a hood or base, such as those from Phoenix or Harting. You can separate them by unlatching the clamps and pulling the plug away from the receptacle. The wires remain connected. The symbols look somewhat like a feather in JIC or NFPA but they look very much like your +MCC-TB 01 symbol in IEC.

The terminal block is a connecting device that only has a screw or a cage clamp holding a wire in place. To break the connection you must use a tool, such as a screwdriver. The symbols for these are usually round or square. There are 5 shapes available in AutoCAD Electrical though.

The software is delivered with a complete set of connector symbols and terminal block symbols. There should be no need to create custom versions. Terminal blocks and connectors are handled in a special way by the software. It is risky to modify them or create new ones unless you are very experienced with their required attributes and the placement of these attributes. Mostly consider the Symbol Builder as a tool for building application specific symbols that go beyond the basic ANSI or IEC symbols. For example, a VFD.

It must be noted that only valid terminal block symbols will appear in the Termnal Strip Editor for insertion into a drawing as part of a graphical representation of a terminal strip.

Doug McAlexander

Message 14 of 14
sekhar_pd
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi Dougmcalexander,

Thank You for your suggestion....Yes I agree that ACADE comes with many different symbols...but when a wiring schematic contains wires crossing diffferent places we normally show with different shapes of terminals and designate each shape with a location.

This is the reason to prepare custom symbols.  Next comes why I have used terminals in place of connector is because I need terminal strip layout so that I can prepare cable requirement.

Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost