AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal Footprints

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
STEVENAR
1154 Views, 7 Replies

Terminal Footprints

Hi,

I am producing a control panel layout and am using the Insert Component Footprint schematic list to insert the component footprints onto the panel. Can someone please advise if these commands can be used to insert the terminal footprints, the terminals do not appear on the schematic list. I understand that there is the terminal footprints editor but I use this to generate terminal block arrangements drawings.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
drathak
in reply to: STEVENAR

Pretty sure they would have to exist inthe schematic to show up in the insert by Schematic List's list.  And I also think they need to exist in the schematic before the Terminal strip editor would be able to do anything.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 3 of 8
Icemanau

This is where you would use the Terminal Strip Editor and do a graphical layout of the terminal strip to insert.

If you don't want the wire numbers to be displayed, you just turn the PWIRE layer off.

The big advantage of this is that you are not inserting each terminal individually (a very big plus for a large strip).

You can also add spare terminals, end stops, end plates and other accessories and have them all tied to the terminal strip.

It also allow you to preview how the strip will look and to adjust the terminals position within the strip and renumber them.

There are a lot of other functions within the TSE, so take a look at it and play around to find out.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 4 of 8
STEVENAR
in reply to: Icemanau

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I agree that the Terminal Strip Editor command is better for inserting footrpints onto a drawing but I have already used this command to insert the terminals blocks into my terminal block arrangement drawings. I am now trying to produce the Internal layout of the panel and need to produce the same terminal blocks, ie. footprints on the layout drawing. Is this possible and will they be linked for updating purposes. Effectively I can repeat the same terminals in a drawing pack numerous times and ideally want them all linked so that when I update one the same terminals updates on the other drawings. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 8
Icemanau

Ahh, that is totally different. As far as I'm aware, ACADE will only recognise 1 terminal strip layout per strip per project.

If you have a close up view of the strip and then want to add it to a panel layout, you are SOL for ACAD to keep it updated automatically.

Best Advice is to SHIFT-CTRL-C the close up view and paste this into a dwg that is not part of the project. Select the pasted strip and do a special explode to get ride of all the ACADE smarts before SHIFT-CTRL-C again and pasting into your panel layout.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 6 of 8
testsubject
in reply to: Icemanau

The way I get around this is to have the titleblock in paperspace and then xref the panel into a new dwg in modelspace. Then in the viewport in paperspace I zoom in to show more detail. This way, only one panel exists even though I have several detail views of it. Also, if I have to update, the updates appear automatically in the detail dwgs.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 7 of 8
STEVENAR
in reply to: testsubject

Thanks alot for that.

I have created modelspace layouts of the terminal blocks. I have tried to use the xattach command to show these views on my control panel internal layout drawing in paperspace. However the external drawings I have attached are not showing in model space only paperspace. How do I change these views to modelspace? Also please advise if the border of the viewport in model space is shown when you xattach a drawing and if so how do you remove the border.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 8
testsubject

Steve,

When xreffing in a drawing, make sure you are in the "space" you want to be. If you want the xref to reside in modelspace, then be in modelspace when inserting the xref.

If your border is in the same space as your components, then when you xref it in, it will also apear. I place all my borders in Paperspace so do not have this problem. If you cannot remove the border from modelspace, you could always turn off the layer it is on from Layer Manager. You will notice after attaching a drawing that it's name appears in the Layer Manager along ith the layers fron the xreffed drawing.

When you create a Viewport, it is only accessable from Paperspace. You will not see it in Modelspace.

One of these days I will get around to writing a white paper on how to do this. I will start after all the other various "Honey-Do" projects are done... 😉

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost