AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag Format for a Terminal

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Dag_Henrik
447 Views, 2 Replies

Tag Format for a Terminal

Is there a way to format the Terminal Symbol Tag Strip like one can format other tags?

We Tag our components as follows: -%S%F%N, and would like the same for terminals.

Is this possible?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

AutoCAD Electrical allows the user to assign the terminal strip ID, because strip IDs are not usually assigned by page and/or line number, but in some type of numerical sequence.  Terminal numbers are therefore not governed by the same code that controls standard component tagging.  In the U.S., according to NFPA-79, it is customary to name a strip TB1, TB2, TB3, etc.  I have seen TS as well, but NFPA actually lists terminals with the class designation letters TB.  The DIN, IEC, and AS standards use the letter "X" to name a terminal strip (i.e. X1, X2, X3, etc.).  Since these are the standards for the U.S. and Internationally, automated electrical CAD software prompts the user to assign the strip ID. Of course the individual terminals within a strip can be numbered sequentially or they can automatically take the wire number.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 3

Thank you for the reply Doug.

I kind of miss a "Insert new terminal strip" function in the "Insert/Edit Terminal Symbol" window.

A function that you provide with e.g. which Inst and Loc the new strip is to be located, and autoCAD finds the next available Tag Strip for you.

It can get quite of a nuisance to scroll through the "Project List" when inserting a new TS, especially when having many Inst and Loc's, since it’s no way of sorting it.

Another thing that I miss is when exporting the terminal data to Spreadsheet, there is no row with which sheet the terminal is on. Since this could be a work around for not being able to format the TS Tag with sheet number.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost