AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TB's slowing down processing

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
wcrosby0404
1211 Views, 22 Replies

TB's slowing down processing

I have found an issue where horizontal TB's are used on the side of ladders (connected vertically and horizontally) that in some scenerios any sort of ACADE update goes insanely slow (currently troubleshooting for my company).

Anybody else seen this?

Tags (2)
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Never seen this.  I tie terminal blocks together on vertical ladders using a wire type layer named JUMPERBAR. Do you have them linked with the Link Terminals method by chance, not that I have see any issues with that method either.  It may be helpful if you can post a drawing.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 23

Attached is an example.

Hopefully you should notice the following:

Extremely slow processing with the Left and Right vertical terminal blocks (which are actually saved as horizontal) and then how fast it is after removing them.

Thanks Doug!

Message 4 of 23

I cannot look at the drawings yet. Answering from my phone. Are the terminals custom or standard terminals from AutoCAD Electrical? Have you tried AEREBUILDDB and performed a full rebuild?

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 23

They are custom but literally a direct copy of attributes from standard blocks.

They are Wire Number with no Wire Number change horizontal terminal blocks.

I have tried all the usual fixing tricks including AEREBUILD and scratch database.

Thanks!

Let me know when you play around with it.

Message 6 of 23

I have the drawing downloaded and I created a project to test it with.  What steps can I take to reproduce the slow processing that your are experiencing?

I noticed that you have 16AWG blue wire connecting each terminal to the one below it.  Are you really jumpering terminals with wire and not a jumper clip or jumper bar?

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 23

You should experience slow processing with the terminal blocks on the ladders and then how quick it is when you remove them.

"Slow" meaning more than a minute or two

Message 8 of 23

Slow processing of which command or utility?  I'm not seeing anything wrong. I do see that there are destination arrows that connect to a different drawing, so the wire number for the vertical buses is from somewhere outside of the drawing you posted.  There could be an issue with the other drawing.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 23

It happens during a wire Number Update Drawing wide, although I just tested it again and it's not doing it.  I am working on a project due by the end of the day so we may have to leave this open until i get some time to re-post another incident.

Message 10 of 23

Since you have wire numbers assigned via source and destination arrows, you might want to wire number project wide.  You are also using terminal blocks that are assigned the wire number instead of a strip sequence number.  This can require a little extra processing time, but it shouldn't be very noticeable.  It took 2 seconds for me to wire number your drawing.  It may take longer if your projects are on a network drive.  That introduces latency that may cause delays for certain project-wide functions.  When processing only one drawing, with many terminals deriving their assignment from a wire number that originates on a different drawing, there is more work for the software to do.

Doug McAlexander

Message 11 of 23
darrell1gregg
in reply to: wcrosby0404

yes, we notice that wire number updates seem to run slower on jumpered terminal networks, especially if there are source/destination arrows on that network as well.

Good excuse to go get another cup of joe. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 23
wcrosby0404

Doug, try just opening this drawing and then doing a Wire Number Update.

Hopefully the issue doesn't go away after posting the original dwg.  I just sat and tested it and waiting for more than 5 minutes, then quite.

Thanks!

Message 13 of 23
wcrosby0404

I just retested the last drawing I posted 6 minutes ago and it is still going so you see the same issue as well.

I am trying to resolve this issue or atleast understand it because I have seen others with larger projects display the same beheavior and it sucks the life out of people.

The only thing I know is that the issue somewhere lies in the terminal blocks (left and right ladder ones) and I have broken them apart and double checked their attributes to verify them.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 23
ccad2509

Yes ive seen this problem its to do with the internal links you have assigned in the Terminal strip editor

if you have multiple terminals internally linked and then do an external link acade will throw a wobbly

if you disconnect the internal links inside the TSE the problem should go away ther is other postings regarding this

Message 15 of 23
wcrosby0404
in reply to: ccad2509

"if you have multiple terminals internally linked and then do an external link acade will throw a wobbly"

Hey!  You mean terminal associations?  If so what do you mean by internal and external associations?

and then you're saying the only fix is to dissociate all of the terminals?  I have triples decks with very specific associations and jumpers. . . this will waste an hour atleast of my time . . .

Thanks!

Message 16 of 23
wcrosby0404

ohhhhhhh you mean internal jumpers!

Yea i just removed all of the jumpers and the issue went away. . .

Still sucks to have to re-jumper but thats better than having to "re-associate mutli-deck terminals"

thanks buddy.

Doug, is there a way around this solution of deleting jumpers?

Message 17 of 23

I am on vacation this week so I can't test the drawing.  But at first glance, it appears that you have off-drawing sources and destinations, so I would not be able to completely process wire number assigniments.  But I also notice that you have what appear to be wires connecting between terminals and I see node dots between each terminal as well.  The software will have extra work to do in that case, and ultimatley will make a best guess as to the sequence of those connections, based upon the curent state of your drawing\.  I suggest using a wire type named JUMPERBAR if the terminals are actually connected via jumpers.   If connected via wires that's fine too, but define a wire sequence or use angled tees.  Right click on any wire in the network/node and select Wire Sequence>Edit Wire Sequence.  If you replace the dots with angled tees you won't need to define the wire sequence.  The orientation of the angled tee will dictate the wire sequence.  In its current state your drawing doesn't provide Electrical with enough detail for wire sequencing.  This could slow things a bit as well.

And yes to all the internal jumpers.  This can take extra time while the wire number routine processes all networks.  It has to follow each wire to all possible ends and resolve what the correct wire number should be.  If the jumpers represent jumperbars, perhaps don't connect a wire between them, if you are going to define the jumpers via TSE.  I use a wire layer called JUMPERBAR for jumpering sequential terminals.  This is quick and avoids the Terminal Jumper assignment.

If derived from a source on another drawing, processing can take longer still.

Doug McAlexander

Message 18 of 23
ccad2509

I have double deck treminals but cant display them in reports properley and stalls my system because of this issue

i have basically given up on this problem and goes it goes into my list of things acade doesnt do

Message 19 of 23
wcrosby0404
in reply to: ccad2509

I see.

Well thank you CCAD2509 for pointing me in the right direction.  I will try to convice my team to avoid using the jumpers inside of TSE for increased time in productivity and avoiding issues.

Thanks!

Message 20 of 23

OK I understand.

Do not think this is my issue.  When I update one of my custom created child components I get a green dialog box that has a timer bar and says "updating". 

I guess a good place to begin would be at the component.  I don't think its a naming issue my parent would be HCR1_314 and the child contact in this case would be HCR2_314.

BTW the computer is a new Dell Latitude E6430 intel TM i5-3340M CPU@270GHz its a good enough machine to handle the work I believe, which is simple point to point circuits, no panel or even page to page connections going on with this project.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost