AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbol Builder - Attribute Editor Pins List Not Displaying?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
dlack
3165 Views, 16 Replies

Symbol Builder - Attribute Editor Pins List Not Displaying?

Hi,

I'm new to Autocad Electrical and especially the symbol builder.

I have created a symbol and added pins using the Attribute Editor - Wire Connections dialog. Then I did Symbol Builder - Done and saved the symbol. I could insert it into the schematic, etc.

However, when I reopen the symbol in Symbol Builder, the pin attributes no longer show up in the Pins list under Attribute Editor. This is a problem because when I try to enter new pins into this symbol, it is duplicating the attribute tags (for example, I will have two separate TERM01 tags.

Is there a way to get the pins list to see pins that already exist in the symbol when it is opened? Am I missing something else?

In the attached image you can see that the pins list only contains the new pin I added, and not the previously existing pins.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
dlack
in reply to: dlack

Just wanted to update. This seems to be associated with using the Wire Connection - Style - Others ... Drop-Down. Any terminals that I create using this dialog seem to be "forgotten" by the pins list when re-opening the symbol in sybol builder. Any terminals I create buy just using the generic styles in the drop down are remembered.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dustin

Message 3 of 17
RobinShou-Autodesk

Hello Dustin,

I tried the similar workflow in Symbol Builder in ACE2012, but didn't see your problem. Please check the following video, and let me know if it is the same workflow with yours.

http://screencast.com/t/bdUqT3C70

Thanks,
Robin Shou
Quality Assurance

AutoCAD Electrical

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 17
dlack
in reply to: RobinShou-Autodesk

Hi Robin,

You have actually illustrated the method that works for me. I get the same results as you.

However, instead of selecting one of the predefined Wire Connection "Direction/Style" drop-downs (for example, Left/None), I was originally selecting "Other" and defining one of my own. For example, I was selecting the one the looks like a screw and putting wire connections from all 4 directions.

When I do it this way, they don't show up in the list when I re-open as shown in your video.

Thanks for the support!

Dustin

Message 5 of 17
RobinShou-Autodesk

Hello Dustin,

I also tried to select the "Other" and select the screw and put wire connections from all 4 directions. but still no problem.

please refer to:
http://screencast.com/t/48Oy4NvF8d8

Can you create a video record for your workflow and issues? then I can have a review and check it.

Thanks,
Robin Shou
Quality Assurance
AutoCAD Electrical
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 17
dlack
in reply to: RobinShou-Autodesk

Robin,

Please see below.

http://screencast.com/t/MAxPTbfe5

Thanks,

Dustin

Message 7 of 17
sbejusca

Hi there,

I have the same problem in ACADE 2014. I do not see the any wire connection listed when I edit my previously created symbol.

If I add a new connection it duplicates the first original connection.

Does this problem have a solution?

Thank you 

Stefan

Message 8 of 17
rhesusminus
in reply to: sbejusca

I haven't experienced this myself. Do this apply for all symbols, or just for some symbols?

If only for some symbols, can you post one of those symbols here?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 9 of 17
subhpoto

hello,

i have also the same problem with autocad electrical 2014, is this problem with version ?

Message 10 of 17
ryteone
in reply to: subhpoto

No I had the same problem with AutoCAD Electrical 2014 and now having it with Electrical 2015!  I also have it where after editing blocks you go to close the block editor and it displays bclose in the command line but stays in the editor regardless of what you do.  I had that in 2014 and it continues on 2015 (it's not just one machine but had it happen on all three I use).

As far as the terminal issue I'm using the symbol builder under the Schematic tab to edit a PLC I had AutoCAD Electrical place.  But I needed to edit the terminals and add some.  The graphic items I add to the block always show up but when I use the symbol builder attribute editor to place wire connections the the grahic items they never show up when I place the object into the drawing or when I go back and use the symbol builder to look at the block again.

Message 11 of 17
jalger
in reply to: ryteone

Simple Solution, Don't use the block close command, it only trriggers the "Done" 50% of the time.

If you are authoring your own symbol, or editing a previously made one, use the "Done" command in the Symbol builder tab.(when your finished creating the component)

Symbol_Done.png

Truthfully you should be using the following process to get good symbols all the time:

1. Save the geometry as a block ( without the naming scheme).

2. Start the "Symbol Builder" command select the Block name from the Drop down (Or Browse to it, if its not in the same project)

3. Center the Block in the Block editor Enviroment (if its not properly in line with its first wire connection)

4. Save the Block (Block save)

5. Add you Tags, Wire connections and other Required Attributtes. (make sure you add text where its required)

6. Save the Block (Block save)

7. Click on "Done"

8.Fill in the Naming Scheme for the component, so it links to the database properly.

9. Press "OK", and insert it on the drawing when your asked If you want place the block on the current drawing. (to make sure its ok) 

10. press "ok"  in the insert dialog box to make sure the componen t exisits on the drawing.

(DO NOT PRESS CANCEL, or you will lose your work)

If you need to go back and edit make sure you select the new component with the proper naming scheme.

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 12 of 17
twchang88

Same here.

However, I opened up a symbol I created some time back. It is ok with all the pins visible in the list.

When I opened up the symbol I am currently working on, all the pins disappeared in the list..

I tried algerj's suggestion, still no luck..

Anybody solved this issue by other means?

Thanks.

Message 13 of 17
DETIMMERMAN

i am new to AutoCAD electrical How do you delete a custom components in the components library

dean  

Message 14 of 17
jseefdrumr

After playing around with both my custom symbols and the ones that come in the NFPA library, I've noticed that any terminal that has multiple wire connections won't show up in the pin list within the symbol builder. For example, block Hxf1d shows pin lists for three of its seven terminals in the editor. When you take a closer look, you see the other four have multiple wire connections. Only the terminals with one wire connection appear in the pin list. Why this is, is up to Autodesk to explain. I can't even say whether it's a bug or what.

I noticed that the attachment in the OP shows multiple wire connections in every terminal. That's probably why nothing shows up in the pin list.

If the only issue is duplicate terminal names, you can do one of three things:

1. Use the command ATTDEF to insert your new terminals manually. (remember to also insert the X?TERM for the wire connection)

2. Copy other TERM attributes and edit their tag like you would any other attribute defiinition

3. Use the tool palette like you have been doing, then rename the duplicate TERM01 to TERM09 or whatever you need. (remember to rename the X?TERM definition too)

If you choose to copy or use ATTDEF to insert X?LINK or X?TERM attributes, you must stick to their naming conventions. (See AutoCAD Help). Basically, you replace the ? with either a 1,2,4, or 8. This tells ACAD-E from which direction the wire will connect. 1=connects from right; 2=connects from above; 4=connects from left; 8=connects from below. LINK attributes are used for dashed lines that link components (such as pushbuttons), while the TERM attribute is for terminals. So, if you needed to add a terminal to a custom block that already has ten terminals in it, you would do this:

-- enter ATTDEF in the command line

-- name it TERM11

-- enter ATTDEF again (so you can place the wire connection)

-- enter X4TERM11 as its tag (this will connect wires from the left)

-- leave other fields blank, set up the height, etc. as needed

-- if you need more wire connections, repeat these steps. Remember to use the correct number for which direction the wire will come in from.

Remember that each terminal uses two attribute definitions. One is TERM, which is the terminal number. The other is X?TERM, which is the wire connection. You can have multiple X?TERM definitions for each single TERM definition.

In addition, wire connections are just attribute definitions. What makes them special is how they are named. As long as they are properly named, you can do anything you want to them: make them really big or small, change their justification, orientation, whatever. Just keep in mind that the wire will connect to the attribute definition's insertion point.

Also, you can add more info to the X?TERM name. As long as the first characters are as they should be, you can suffix whatever you want with an underscore. Examples: X1TERM08_powerblock or X8TERM124_toaster.

I don't even use the symbol editor for most of my blocks. They're usually pretty simple, and I find it a little quicker to just copy TERM and X?TERM attributes and edit them, rather than using the tool palette in the editor.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 15 of 17
jalger
in reply to: DETIMMERMAN

Hi Dean,

That depends were the customizations have been done.

If you customized the icon menu, you need to use the icon menu wizard to remove the component in the menu.

( and potentally remove the block from the path it was called from)

If the component was just authored in the symbol builder (but not placed in the icon menu), then you need to remove the component for the library source. 

look for the libraries in: (keep in mind the path is different depending on the release of the product)

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Acade 2015\Libs

Once your in the library (for example the NFPA one) you can sort the dwgs that contain the blocks by data edited.

(your latest creations should be at the top )

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 16 of 17
vince.krueger
in reply to: jalger

A little side note, if when you create your symbol and leave the X?TERMDESC attributes in, they do not appear to show up in the Wire Connection list either (on pins with one or more connections).

Message 17 of 17
TRLitsey
in reply to: DETIMMERMAN

Hi there @DETIMMERMAN

The assumption is that the symbol is in a folder, the image file is in a menu with a symbol name.

From the ribbon > Left click Icon Menu Wizard , select schematic or panel button and click OK button.

Right click the item you want to remove, select properties . 

If you delete the fields here it will remove the item from the menu.  If you want it completely errased from your system make note of the Location ( menu icon) and Block Name (drawing symbol).  That is the path to the files that need to be deleted.

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome

Good luck

Screenshot - 6_14_2016 , 11_50_50 AM.png

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost