AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-assemblies, 3-pole fuse block

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
amt_controls
382 Views, 11 Replies

Sub-assemblies, 3-pole fuse block

1. Could somebody please tell me how he or she would make a 3-pole fuse block have all of the catalog information necessary in order to build this part. Please list the steps. I'm new to this.

The items that I would need would be a fuse block and 3 fuses.

2. What's the difference between As main->Sub and As Sub?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
testsubject
in reply to: amt_controls

In the catalog, the first thing you would do is add the fuseblock to the appropriate table. You would give this catalog entry a Main-->Sub value of anything you want, such as Fuseblock01. Then add a catalog entry in the same table for the fuse but give this a Sub value that matches the Main-->Sub value of the fuseblock;i.e., Fuseblock01. Now when you generate reports, it will list both the fuseblock and fuses.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 12
amt_controls

Okay you lost me right off of the bat. I may be a little bit greener than most.

First of all, what do you mean by In the Catalog? The access data base, like new folder or edit component/Cat Lookup/ add new item. Is that where your talking about? And What table? By table I think your talking about MS access.

Maybe I'm missing something really easy.

Step by Step instructions?
Message 4 of 12
testsubject

Okay.

I will assume that you have at least inserted a component onto a Ladder diagram. I will also assume that this component will represent the 3 pole fuse block.

If you hover over the component in the schematic and Right Mouse Click, (for the rest of this discussion I will use RMC for this and LMC for Left Mouse Click) The context sensitive menu will appear. Select Edit. Somewhere in this dialog box there will be a button for "Cat Lookup" LMC this. This will access the Access database, default_cat.mdb where all the catalog parts are located in separate table grouped in like components. If the part does not exist yet, LMC "Add" to call up the "Add Parts catalog record (group)" (the group will correspond to the family that the component is part of; i.e. PLCIO, TRMS, SS,etc.) In this dialog box, enter all the pertinent information for the fuseblock. LMC the checkbox next to "As Main/sub" and in the text box to the left enter in an assembly name for this assembly (I would suggest FuseBlock01.) LMC "OK".

Now LMC "Add" again. This time, enter all the information for the fuse. In the upper right hand corner of this Dialog box, enter a "3" for the CNT value. This represents the number of each per assembly. LMC the checkbox next to "As sub" and LMC on the box labelled "List" right next to it. From this list select "FuseBlock01." LMC "OK." LMC "OK" again.

After adding components, the three fields at the top of this dialog box will reset. LMC the arrow in the MFG pulldown and select the manufacturer for the fuseblock. The fuseblock should appear in the big window below assuming that you do not have a lot of components from this manufacturer yet. Select it and then LMC "OK". LMC "OK." LMC "OK."

This should have set up the component to consist of (1) fuseblock and (3) fuses for each time you insert it. When you generate a BOM report in "Tallied Purchase List format" it will properly display the totals required.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Robert Hanrahan
Weigh Right Automatic Scale Co.
ACE User since 1997

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 5 of 12
amt_controls

That was the best description one could ever as for. It explained a whole lot.

Thank you!!
Message 6 of 12
testsubject

You're welcome.

I'm glad that I could help.

Robert Hanrahan
ACE User since 1997

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 7 of 12
amt_controls

Everything worked great. One question for you though.

Now every time I pull up that Fuse block it has FuseBlock01 attached to it, which has the 3 same fuses attached to it. What if I want to switch from like 10 amp to 5 amp. Instead of having the same fuse over and over.
Message 8 of 12
amt_controls

I should probably explain a little bit better. I chose the Fuse block holder with the part Number USCC3I. Attached to this fuseblock has the assembly FuseBlock01 which I used 3-ATDR10 amp fuses to make up the assembly. Now every time I use the USCC3I fuse Block it uses the assembly with the 3-ATDR10 amp fuses. What if I don't want to use the ATDR10 amp fuses and I want to use 3-ATDR5 amp fuses. How would I make that happen?
Message 9 of 12
testsubject

For this you will have to make a duplicate of the fuseblock in the database but give it a different Assembly name; maybe FuseBlock05 for 5 amp and FuseBlock10 for 10 Amp. If you have the edit component dialog box open with the fuseblock, then when you click on Add, it will use the currently selected component as a template. This will save you time from having to retype in all the data. You will also have to create catalog entries for each fuse. I have not found a better way of doing this. After you set it up though, you won't have to do it again and I do not think that the database will mind if there are multiple catalog numbers in it 🙂

Robert Hanrahan
ACE User Since 1997

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 10 of 12
amt_controls

Thanks I'll give it a shot. I'll just have to remember that I only have to do this once

When I checked to see what the bill of material looked like, I saw that there isn't a number in the quantity for the sub-assembly (which should of been 3). It has the number 3 in the Column under "Sub". Is this normal? I just think when a machine shop or panel build shop get's my bill of material they are going to be a little confused. Is there any way that the number can show up in the quantity instead of the Column "Sub"?
Message 11 of 12
testsubject

It depends on which BOM you generate. Try generating "displayed in Tallied Purchase List format." (The third option in the "Display Options" section of the BOM dialog BOx) This lists all the parts grouped by MFG/Catalog number instead of TAG.

Robert Hanrahan
ACE User since 1997

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 12 of 12
amt_controls

That does help. It's kind of like what we're used to.

Again, thank you for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost