AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange tag format...?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
CAD-ICE
529 Views, 3 Replies

Strange tag format...?

Hi there,

I´m experiencing some strange things in one of my project when inserting components. The example shown on the attached image shows a current relay tagged as -KF162. According to the drawing properties also shown on the attached image, the component tag format should be %F%S%N. What I was expecting was -K162 but where does the F come from?

Any ideas deeply appreciated.

Regards, Gary

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: CAD-ICE

It seems that you may be using the IEC60617 library.  Switch to the IEC2 or IEC4 library.  IEC2 has 2mm text height while IEC4 has 4mm text height.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
CAD-ICE
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hello Dough,

is that all! Wow I have been looking all over for what was causing this!

Is this naming convention part of the IEC60617 standard? Is this the only difference between the IEC2/4 besides the text height?

Thank´s again...

Regards, Gary

Message 4 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: CAD-ICE

The IEC60617 library is based upon the latest IEC standard for component class identification, IEC81346-2.  IEC81346-2 supersedes IEC61346-2, which superseded IEC61346-1.  IEC61346-1 was based on the DIN standard.  I prefer IEC61346-1.  It is a well established standard with widespread use and it clearly defines the function of a device with only one letter.

IEC61346-2 introduced changes such that devices, whether mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, or otherwise are classified, based more so on their physical properties rather than their function.  IEC81346-2 includes a group of optional tables which can be referenced if you want to use a second letter to denote circuit function.

For example instead of plain "Q" for a disconnect switch or main circuit breaker, it is "QB" for the disconnect switch (fused or non-fused) and "QA" for the circuit breaker.  A motor starter or contactor is also "QA", as is a power transistor or thyristor.  There are other sub-classes for "Q" but that is a sample of the more common ones.

Pilot lights were "H" in DIN and early IEC but are now under the broad class of "P", for "presenting information." To use the two-letter code to further qualify the pilot light (signaling device) you would use "PF".

Protective fuses still fall under the main category of "F", as do protective circuit breakers (i.e. branch protection).  The two letter code would be "FC".

Believe it or not, a microprocessor or PLC processor is "KF" under IEC81346-2, along with control relay, analog or binary circuit, optocoupler, electronic tube, safety logic module, and more.

I prefer the original DIN classifications or IEC61346-1 myself.  I think the International Electrotechnical Commission has outlived its usefulness and is making changes now for the sake of change - perhaps just to appear busy.  Just my humble opinion.  I still see many, many drawings from Europe that still appear to reference the DIN or IEC61346-1 standard.  But even with IEC81346-2, I prefer to stick with one letter.

If you want to follow IEC81346-2 but use only one letter classifications, just reference IEC2 or IEC4 for your project library and employ a wd_fam.dat file in your project folder to alter the few symbols that still match IEC61346-1.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost