AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spreadsheet to PLC I/O Utility

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
JAXXCAD
2391 Views, 6 Replies

Spreadsheet to PLC I/O Utility

Long time ACAD/ACADE user (+22yrs), new to forums.

Having little to no PLC programming experience, I am looking to use the Spreadsheet to PLC I/O Utility to creaste a couple of modules not available in the Rockwell library or update.  My spreadsheet lists the module I/O addresses and descriptions but I am not familiar with the proper spreadsheet format to enable it to be used.

Anyone have or know the proper spreadsheet setup?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dougmcalexander
in reply to: JAXXCAD

The Spreadsheet to PLC I/O utility is used to create entire drawings that include PLC modules, ladders/wiring, and even discrete devices that connect to the PLC I/O. The code field defines which module to use. It sounds like you need to first use the PLC Database File Editor to add the new module to the PLC database, so it will be available for the Spreadsheet to PLC I/O utility.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 7
JAXXCAD
in reply to: dougmcalexander

This is understood.  Looking for proper spreadsheet format.  Spreadsheet was not created from RSLogix, created by EE to give I/O point descriptions.

Is there a specific format that should be setup within the spreadsheet?  (see attached)

Message 4 of 7
jalger

Hi JaxxCAD,

There sure is a format! (you can export an empty one and use that for your I/O Charts)

You can find the sample DEMOPLC.xls in:

C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2015\R20.0\enu\Support\User

(I put a copy up to save you from looking 🙂 )

I Don't Remember if Break works in the address field of not... (Spacer works for leaving Blank spaces) guess its time to run a quick test.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 5 of 7
dougmcalexander

James already gave you the best solution. Autodesk supplies you a sample to use as a guide.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 6 of 7
pabeyta
in reply to: jalger

I am struggling. I downloaded the file you shared. I went to the PLC IO utility and tried to import this but it didnt do anything. Can you please help? I have been reassigned to help with this project and i have never done any of this before but can pick up anything pretty quick. I ultimately need to load our memory maps and make them auto-populate our autocad drawings and then do the programming basics. Help please. 

Message 7 of 7
dougmcalexander
in reply to: pabeyta

I have attached the sample file from Autodesk.  Use the .xlx file as a guide.  In the XLS file you type in module number, PLC addressing, address descriptions, and up to 9 discrete components.  The spreadsheet has cells for up to 6 but you can go up to 9.  The cells in red are for you to enter the block name of the symbol you wish to insert. 

You can save you import preferences to a .wdi file. 

The HELP system in the software has a tutorial for using this utility.

PLCIO Utility.png

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost