AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someplace to download components

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jwalter007
466 Views, 5 Replies

Someplace to download components

I am looking for a place to download additional catalog components. I have installed all the ones that come with acad ele 2014 but can find the components that i need. 

If I can find an acad drawing of a part, that is not the same as the electrical component, right? For example, automationdirect has dwgs of each part, but there isnt a way to use that as the electrical component?

Im specifially looking for VFDs

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: jwalter007

If you are talking about the footprints, download those that you find from the manufacturers site.

Add the proper attributes and then place them into a Custom Footprints directory.

You will also need to add this directory to the projects search order so that it is in the first position for the footprint search order.

For Schematics symbols, you will have a harder time. At this stage, I don't believe there is a hard standard for devices like VFD's, Multi function protection relays and other such devices.

I usually just create a box with all the required attributes and add a description in the component edit. Usually this turns out to be something like

"P123 CT/VT Inputs" or similar. I have several generic boxes like this saved and ready to go depending on the different combinations of connections required.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
jwalter007
in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks for replying.

So if I were building a panel layout, I would download the dwg from a manufacturer & place it into the panel drawing?

I noticed on the dwg there are different views & measurements, etc. Do I remove all of those & just cut/paste the view that I want in the panel. 

Im teaching myself Acad E via web tutorials so if it doesnt discuss something I'm not famialir with it.

Im not sure if fottprints is some specifi part of ACAD that imports a dwg & automatically places it correctly in the panel or if your just calling it a footprint image.

I have attached a dwg for a VFD that I am working with in case you want to see what im workign with.

thanks for the help.

Jason

Message 4 of 6
electricman1

Free downloadable A-B PLC schematic and layout symbols which are ACADE ready can be found here:

www.racklayout.com

Message 5 of 6
Icemanau

A footprint is the term given to a block that is used to show the physical shape or outline of a component.

ACADE won't actually place the footprint in the dwg, you have to do that and locate it where you need it on said dwg.

Such dwgs are usually the panel layout dwgs and not the schematic dwgs.

When you get a file from the manufacturer, you will usually get the different views and the measurement.

I tend to make sure everything in such dwgs is converted to a 1:1 scale (actual size) and save the dwg.

Then I just copy out the view I need and make a block with just that view. This includes adding in the correct attributes.

The correct attributes are what allows ACADE to map the block back to the schematics.

After looking at the dwg you provided, I created a footprint utilising the top left view which I've attached.

This will allow you to see what attributes are used for a footprint and how one is normally set up

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
jwalter007
in reply to: Icemanau

Thats very kind of you to do that.

I look forward to looking at that in the morning when I get back to the computer with acad.

Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost