AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Line Diagrams and Circuit Schematics

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
3939 Views, 1 Reply

Single Line Diagrams and Circuit Schematics

Hello All

There may be a simple solution to my question but better users than I do not have an answer.

The industry I work in, the lead time for large items can be 4 to 8 months.  So a detailed single line diagram of major componants is done very early in the design process  to obtain customers approval of the functionallity.

Next is the detailed circuits.

By necessity parts on the single line and the circuit diagrams have the same name.

I am now the only draftie in a small company and It has been my practice to created two project files for the project ie 123.wdl and 123-1.wdl  One project file for the circuit and one for the single line.

The "-1" is not liked by management as it does not fit into the AutoDESK Vault system. Management can't draw and I know nothing about Vault.

So we have an impass.

I have not used the feature but I understand that AE can produce a single line after the circuits have been designed.  This is back to front to the opening process I hope I have described clearly.

What dother users do for this scenario?

Kind regards  JohnQuigley

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

Electrical allows you to merge circuit diagram, panel layout, one-line diagram, P&ID, hydraulics, and pneumatics into one project with multi-directional maintenance.  I have a sample class exercise that covers this as part of my advanced training course.  

You do not not to separate your projects.  Electrical understands that the 3-line and 1-line symbols are related.  You can change the part number, description, etc., on the 1-line and Electrical will auto-update the related 3-line symbol, the panel layout symbol, and the hydraulic/pneumatic/P&ID symbol as necessary to keep all in sync.  Change any symbol and the others update to match.  This is accomplished via the peer-to-peer and one-line capabilities of Electrical.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost