AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seperate component tag format for cables...

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
CAD-ICE
1270 Views, 16 Replies

Seperate component tag format for cables...

Hi there,

I have a customer who´s requiring that cables in his project are tagged specially based on the application.For instance

All powercables should be tagged "KJ-100, 101, 102....etc..."

All controlcables should be tagged "KJ-200, 201, 202....etc..."

All coommunicationcables should be tagged "KJ-800, 801, 802....etc..."

The KJ is something like the "LOC" replacable parameter and the first digit in the cable number could be the replaceable parameter for the layername for that type of cable as an idea...

Any suggestions kindly appreciated.

Regards, Gary

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Icemanau
in reply to: CAD-ICE

First of all, set up different layers for the different types of cables.

Next, you need to set up the wire numbering system to have the wires numbered using the layer overrides.

Finally in the layer overrides, you can set the prefix to use things like the  LOC, LAYER and so on using replacable parameters.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 17
CAD-ICE
in reply to: Icemanau

Hello again Brad,

thank´s for replying on my post.

Aren´t you misunderstanding my question. I´m looking for a way to customize the tagname for a certain type of cable and not what you propose wire number, right?

It´s wery common in Europe to tag cables i.e. to external equipment in the field differently than tagging components so that´s why I´m asking if there is a way to tag cables.

Thank´s again, Gary

Message 4 of 17
Icemanau

There are cable markers available that will insert into cables or wires. They can be found either through the component insert or under the Wires->Cables drop down (2008 version at least).

There are also in-line wire labels that can be found in the component insert menu. These have as standard, the normal colour labels as well as one called 'You Type' which allows you to set what you require.

Regards Brad

Message 5 of 17
CAD-ICE

Hi again Brad and thank´s for looking into this matter.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I´m using ACADE2012.

If I  insert a standard cable marker block (vW01) the cable marker is automatically tagged according to the component Tag format setup which in my case is set to tag according to %F%S%N (see attached image). This is the general tag format for all components, but what I´m trying to accomplish is to override the general tag format setup for cable markers so to speak such that I can create a seperate setup for automatic tagging of cables. Is this possible?

I´m sorry if I´m not expressing myself clearly enough but I hope that you can follow me now....or maybe I´m not following your explanation on how to get about this?

Thank´s again and regards, Gary

Message 6 of 17
Icemanau

In ACADE2008 under Terminals/Connectors in the component menu, there is a sub menu called 'In-Line Wire Labels'.

Besides the Standard Colours there is one titled 'You Type'. When you insert this it pops up a dialog box allowing you to fill in whatever information you require. These wire labels do not follow the numbering or tagging system (at least in ACADE2008 they didn't).

This would seem to be what you are looking for. The other type of label I mentioned seems to follow component tagging rules.

Regards Brad

Message 7 of 17
CAD-ICE

Hi Brad,

I´m sorry to say that the inline labels is not an acceptable solution. I need to be able to tag the cable as one component not as many individuals. We use the cable tags in various reports like cable summary, BOM etc...

I´m sure that there are others out there that have this request....maybe someone at Autodesk can comment on this?

Anyway I really appreciate your effort to help me in this matter.

Thanks again, Gary

Message 8 of 17
randybrunette

You have several issues we need to address. The first is that you need a unique code format for the component tag, different than the default tag format set for the drawing. Secondly, you require the numbering to change for each cable component type.

The toughest problem to solve is that for each cable type, the default family is the same, (CBL for cables), but we need the numbering for each type to restart at 00 and increment. An idea to try is to create a new family style for each type of cable. ACE will then automatically start the component number of each at 00.

For the format override, you can add an attribute named "TAGFMT" to each new symbol. The format contained on this attribute overrides the default format set for the drawing. Set the value of the TAGFMT attribute to something like KJ-1%N, KJ-8%N, and so on.

I attached some sample blocks that seemed to do what you are asking. I added these to the icon menu by copying an existing cable marker entry and changing the block name to the new ones.

Randy Brunette
Brunette Technologies, LLC
randy.brunette@brutec.us
www.brutec.us
Message 9 of 17

I needed a second posting to include an additional two blocks.

Randy Brunette
Brunette Technologies, LLC
randy.brunette@brutec.us
www.brutec.us
Message 10 of 17
CAD-ICE
in reply to: randybrunette

Hello Randy,

Thank you so much for your great effort to solve this issue I´m dealing with.

I have done some tests with the block´s you have provided and I´m seeing some strange things in behaviour. First of all when inserting by using multiple components ACADE does not automatically offer to flip to child symbols but inserts only the parent symbol? Another strange thing happens which is, that the default component tag format set as %F%S%N tags normal components like for instance a current relay as -KF11 instead as expected as -K11 and a standard cable marker as -WD11 and not -W11 ? This behavior is not repeated on the previous page where I have not inserted your symbol with the TAGFMT attribute?? Could that cause this behaviour ??

I have attached a picture for your information showing this partly.

One other question, when inserting your symbols the component is alway´s inserted such that  the symbol inserts vertically as shown on the attached image.

Regards, Gary

Message 11 of 17
CAD-ICE

Hi Randy,

I have one question regarding the tagformat which is that the naming convention seems to follow the setting in the project properties where it´s possible to define wether the tagformat is sequential or based on line reference. My problem is that in general components are tagged based on the line reference but with exception of cable markers which are tagged sequential.

This conflicts with the project settings and my question is therefore if I can someway define that the cable markers are tagged sequentially although the setting in the project/drawing properties is set at line reference ?

Thx. Gary

Message 12 of 17
controlsgirl

I have the exact same need and am finding the same shortcoming with the best solution 😕 I wish we could make separate rules for separate components similar to the way you can change wire numbers. 

Message 13 of 17
rhesusminus
in reply to: controlsgirl

That's what this is for: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-electrical-ideas/idb-p/37/tab/most-recent

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 14 of 17
ermolov-s
in reply to: rhesusminus

The problem is that the build symbols for cable is the same as for any other component. And to make the marking of the cable depended on where it's coming from and where it goes is not currently available. In my work I have divided cable markers type - power, control, etc. each type its own prefix - the power is M, the control is K, followed by the sequence number of the cable. For each cable type has its own symbol which I added to menu. The problem is that if I insert a parent component for the new symbol cable (not the one that was in the library initially), then child components can only be added manually (although child components for these cables have been created, but the program for some reason does not find).

I hope Autodesk will pay more attention to the wishes of the users regarding ACE, as compared with competitors, due to the fact that the versions in 2017 and 2018 is nothing new (also no bug fixes), the program lagged far behind. Especially frustrating lack of development of communication between ACE and AIP.

Message 15 of 17
GoodVibesECad

Was a solution ever found for this topic? Currently having the same issue. Hope I did not bring something back up that has been resolved. Current setting in my project properties under components is %F%N. For example cable is inserted and shown as CBL#. I would like for all cables in my project to use wire numbers format of  %S-%N (CBL1-1). At the moment I manually enter this and it's fixed. Can this format be done just for cables?. 

Message 16 of 17
rhesusminus
in reply to: GoodVibesECad

Did you try the TAGFMT attribute as suggested by Randy?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 17 of 17

@GoodVibesECad  I just end up using wires for cables and give them their own own prefix "CBL" and then the sheet and line number. Unfortunately, it doesn't tie into the BOM or anything else but makes changing designs or reusing sheets much easier. 😕 I haven't tried the solution mentioned right above this comment. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost