AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save problems

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
april_herr
1024 Views, 17 Replies

Save problems

This is a bit confusing but I am having trouble with my automatic saves.  Each time my computer tries, I get a box that says "Unable to save dwg..."  then it creates a .tmp file.  With some of my files, after that box comes up, my file is gone until I hit save again.  It is happening to two of us at my company- out of 10 people.  Any ideas? 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Wheelie22
in reply to: april_herr

I had it today when i used my ZoomExtQsaveNextPage button, locked by... , i dont remember exactly but im going to print screen it the next time.

In the curred directory was a dwl file with my name in it, as its supposed to be. But when i was working on an other project i saw that the dwl file was still there and i could not delete them (dwl + dwl2). I had to close AcadE before i could !

This week i also lost a few drawings this way, the file i was in could not save, lots of .sav files and then 3 of my drawing where gone no .dwg no .bak Smiley Surprised

So got the bakup a made the changes again, i heard this happned before, so if i have this can not save - locked by...,

alerts go of and i check the directory if everyting is still there, do a saveas, and restart AcadE.

Message 3 of 18
april_herr
in reply to: Wheelie22

Yes!  I have lost a few files also.  I have several files that try to auto save and then if you look in the directory where they are supposed to be, the file isn't there and no back up either.  This is very frustrating Woman Mad

hopefully someone can get to the bottom of this...

Message 4 of 18
april_herr

I'm not sure if this is related but everytime I close down AutoCAD, I get a dialog box with an exclamation point in it.  I just hit "OK" and it goes away?  My co worker used to get it but hasn't since the service pack...

Message 5 of 18
april_herr

I was able to get a screen shot of my problems.  Please find them attached

Message 6 of 18
april_herr

I have been working in one of my files all day.(on and off)  I have put several source arrows in, with no problems.  I have two wires left and now when I try to put a source arrow on these wires, I get this popup which I have attached.  I don't know if it is related but it seems like it might be...

Message 7 of 18
Wheelie22

Had it a few times :

atmp0041

sav80C8.tmp

a few of these files, DWG gone, what is going on Smiley Sad

Autodesk, what is this !

Message 8 of 18
Wheelie22

After a few missing drawings we changed from AcadE 2010 to AcadE 2012 and...

drawings where still disappearing..

but this was on 1 project.

Now working on another project and it did not happen once ! Smiley Very Happy

So.. autodesk shall i send you the drawings, then you can check what made it happen ? 

Message 9 of 18
april_herr

We use AcadE 2012.  I have most of my issues, not just saving when using the Electrical features of this program.  I do get the .tmp messages for most of my automatic saves

Message 10 of 18
april_herr

I am very happy to say my save problems seem to be fixed!!  After IT and I sat down on a conference call, we figured out the problem is with the permissions of the files I was using.  For some reason, I didn't have full control of my files.  I hope this helps! Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 18
testsubject

Thanks for the feedback, April! I will be filing that one away for later...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 12 of 18
april_herr
in reply to: testsubject

Unfortunately, I am back to having the same problems...  As soon as I created another folder, the save problems were back.  IT has tried giving me a new windows profile, nothing seems to stop this.  It happens when I am using the new features in AcadE, in my documents.  I have full permissions now, so it's not that.  I want AutoCAD to see this and help! 

If I shut off my backup files in the options, this doesn't happen.  But if I shut them off, I'm in real trouble because that is how I get my files back that I lose because of this problem.  I am at my witts-end!!

Message 13 of 18
johnq

Hi April and others    ACE2012 Porblms

The problems mentioned above are similiar to some of the "Glitches" I have experienced with ACE2012.

Just yeaterday I had a problem where suddenly I could not insert or edit a componant.  A restart of ACE cleared the problem.

About 5 days ago XREF locked up. 

I could post 26 "lockups" in the last 6 months thay i have had.    Some are just commands not working others are Fatal errors.

In every case a restart of ACE clears the problem. 

If I draw many Symbols using Symbol builder, when finished I usually restart ACE.

I have friend who teaches REVIT, he experiences similiar porblems.   His solution is to shutdown REVIT for lunch.  He needs lunch not the programme.

Win7 provides a better analysis of memory use than XP Pro and it is possible to see the creeping consumption of memory by ACE2012, that is only cleared with a restart of ACE2012

If some one has a better explanation or solution than I have, I would like to know.

Cheers  jq

Message 14 of 18
april_herr
in reply to: testsubject

Unfortunately, my problems aren't helped by shutting down CAD or restarting.  It happens from the beginning of the day, no matter what.  But I appreciate the input.  Hopefully we can come to sone resolution...

Message 15 of 18
april_herr
in reply to: johnq

I am cautiously opptimistic!  IT came to the conclusion our virus software- ca- is the problem.  They uninstalled and re-installed something else for me.  So far, so good!

Message 16 of 18
Wheelie22

Problems are still there !

Drawings gone, and a few atmp*  sav*.tmp files in that directory.

More people here have the same problem with AcadE but...

Sometimes XL or Wrd say :

- can not save, try again later

and when i click 1 second later it's ok ?

Is this all a W7 problem !

And not a AcadE thing ?

Are there more people with W7 that have this "can not save" and have problems with XL(2010) and Wrd(2010) Smiley Frustrated

Message 17 of 18
johnq

Yesterday morning in the space of 30 minutes I had 3 FATAL ERORS closing drawings.

I did not take any measurers to correct the errors, the errors simply stopped happening.

My computer is an ACER  Win7,  8 core,   8gB  64bit machine.  It must be a huge task for MicroSoft to support all the different versions of Win7  ir 32 & 64bit together with the various core processor combinations.

When 2 core PC processors started to appear I asked a REP from an AutoDESK supplier about how ACE was going to handle the new processors.    At that time (about 18months ago) they had not plans to take advantage of the extra processors.

I have mentioned before I have had 2007 / 2010 & 2012 each on different windows boxes giveing problems.

Is there any one out there who is using ACE that does not have ANY problems?

I would like to know what hardware you are using.

I must get back to learnning how to set up ACE BoM.

Cheers  john Q

Message 18 of 18
Wheelie22

After 4 years the network dudes confirmed it !

Backup / Synchronise software was locking the files ! So if you had a AcadE project open (or an XLS or DOC) and at the same time it was accessed by this software, free error's.

Now waiting for new B/S software, and an apology. Smiley Tongue

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost