AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Slow

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
foruma000137
485 Views, 19 Replies

Save Slow

Seems like the Save is awfully slow compared to Autocad 2002?? Any reasons you may know why?? Anti-virus software??
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: foruma000137

I have to agree. The "save" function is very slow even compared to Acade 2005.
Message 3 of 20

It may depend upon the number of edits made to the drawing between saves. Mine works fine though. If you are working across a network, network traffic can slow you a bit at times. Networking is inherently slower but at times it may fluctuate according to traffic. If you are at work, it is likely that your computer accesses the Internet via your network. Internet traffic can slow you as well, especially if you have cookies enabled and/or might have picked up some spyware. Be sure that you have no spyware on your machine. One of the most effective spyware scanner/removers is Ad-Aware and it is available for free. If you set your browser to block cookies, you probably won't get much spyware anyway. This is done under the Privacy menu in Internet Explorer Options. I would suggest using the advanced setting and prompt for first-party cookies while blocking third-party cookies. Third-party cookies are almost always adware or spyware. You can add certain trusted sites to the list as allowed sites, or wait until the nest time you visit that site and answer yes when prompted to allow the cookie or not. Check the box to remember your choice and it gets added to the allow list automatically. One other thing to check is to be sure your disk drive is not fragmented. A clean computer, free of spyware and fragmentation can really make a difference.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

I work on a local network and Acade 2006 is significantly slower than Acad2005 in saving a drawing. This is true for all drawings saved not random.
Message 5 of 20

The MDI feature that so many have asked for over the past few years allows for multiple drawings to be open simultaneously. The more drawings you have open the more resources will be required from your PC, which can degrade your performance. I am running WinXP on a Pentium 4 clocked at 3.4GHz with 1GB of RAM and I have no problem keeping several drawings open simultaneously. If your PC lacks the "horsepower" to provide the needed resources, try to limit the number of drawings you keep open. By default ACADE 2006 operates in MDI mode. You can switch back to SDI mode if you need the speed by closing all but one drawing and typing SDI at command line and changing the setting from 0 to 1. Press Enter to activate the change.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

I only work in the SDI mode. I believe the problem is mostly due to the fact that I am working on two very large projects (over 80 drawings each) and Acade 2006 is trying to update the scratch database when saving. However, even if I have a single drawing in a project, when I try to do a save, the time it takes to save the drawing is almost (on average) twice as long than saving the same drawing in Acade 2005.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

Has this been resloved? We are having the same problem.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

No response since last posting.
Message 9 of 20
foruma000137

I'm just living with it being slower. We are on a network and sometimes I have several drawings open at a time and I'd like to keep that feature. I'm trouble shooting others issues because we are using Autocad Electrical for the first time in a very unique and inconsistent setting so is very challenging...that I haven't figured out whether having alot of drawings open causes the problem, spyware, the MDI function being on or what. I'll try to be more attention...because I think sometimes it is quicker but I'm not sure why. If I figure anything out...I'll let you know. I'm in the middle of learning Autocad Electrical in general.
Message 10 of 20
foruma000137

I'm just living with it being slower. We are on a network and sometimes I have several drawings open at a time and I'd like to keep that feature. I'm trouble shooting others issues because we are using Autocad Electrical for the first time in a very unique and inconsistent setting so is very challenging...that I haven't figured out whether having alot of drawings open causes the problem, spyware, the MDI function being on or what. I'll try to be more attention...because I think sometimes it is quicker but I'm not sure why. If I figure anything out...I'll let you know. I'm in the middle of learning Autocad Electrical in general.
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

We have stopped using Acade2006 and have reverted back to using 2005. This problem is persistent as other postings have indicated. Moreover, it is not a hardware issue because our computers have more than enough memory and horsepower.
Message 12 of 20
foruma000137

Interesting...aren't there any new features in 2006 that you are missing out on then?? See we just got it...so 2005 isn't an option.
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Most of the "new" features are more eye candy than functional. We have been using this software since it's inception in 2000 as Via WD and have been waiting for certain features that have been promised for over three years. The software development actually took a step back when Autodesk took over because Autodesk spent over a year trying to transition the product into the fold. In my opinion, the "new" features are not worth the speed drop.
Message 14 of 20
foruma000137

Interesting....who had it before Autodesk (WD?)...I know WD is on most or all of the functions. Did you ever look into Promise Software?? And if so, curious to know your thoughts??
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

The company that Autodesk bought was Via Development.

We looked into Promise back in 2000 and then revisited it in 2002. At that time, we thought that Via WD was a better program because it was more flexible and we had better support. Since Autodesk bought them, the support has declined greatly (which is understandable). In early 2005, we actually hired a consulting firm to evaluate both software and it seems during the time Autodesk was trying to integrate Via WD, Promise had added a lot of functionality and was better than Acade. However, we decided to stay which Acade because we have invested a lot of time and money in it and because with Promise being an 3rd part software, they will be slower to adapt to changes made to Autocad.
Message 16 of 20
foruma000137

I attended Promise Training November 2005...my thoughts were they could do anything and everything if you had the expertise to customize which we would take a lot of customization. Promise was very accomodating to me...their customer service far out weighed Autocad Electrical at the time. When I looked into Autocad Electrical it seemed more user friendly and that the transition wouldnt be so frightening...so that's basically why I went with Autocad Electrical, hopefully I made the right decision. It's nice to hear that you hired a consultimg firm to do what I'm expected to do. I appreciate the trust and competence the company has with me, but felt like I was kind of thrown out to the dogs on the whole matter. I'm thinking Autocad Electrical will get up to speed within time and of course, they are ahead of me now anyways. At first we got the run around as far as support but they've been pretty accomodating lately. And I use this discussion group alot especially during the upgrade from Autocad2002.
Message 17 of 20

For what it's worth AutoCAD Electrical existed before VIA/WD. It was once marketed by a company called Cimlogic as part of their Cimtools AutoCAD "add-ons". The electrical add-on was called Toolbox/WD. I had used Promis-e since 1991, but since I saw Toolbox/WD in 1997, I have never looked back. The learning curve for Promis-e was too steep for my company to pay to train people. We had people who were experts with AutoCAD so Toolbox/WD was a cinch to learn. Promis-e later ported their program into AutoCAD, but it was more like Promis-e was using AutoCAD as an operating system; very inefficient. Toolbox/WD was actually working more like a traffic cop, instructing AutoCAD. AutoCAD was actually doing the work, as directed by Toolbox/WD. Toolbox/WD was not consuming resources from AutoCAD in the same manner as Promis-e. ACADE, following the same path as Toolbox/WD directs AutoCAD. All intelligence is stored in the DWG file. There is no need to maintain separate databases that store the intelligence from the drawings. File maintenance in Promis-e can be very time-consuming.

Doug McAlexander

Message 18 of 20

I need to clarify something. I believe in training. Programs like this are not so intuitive as a word processor is. And my company did pay to have people trained. But 11 people started the Promis-e training on a Monday in 1991 and only two were left by Friday, when the basic training course was finished. The two were myself and a college co-op. The co-op went on the be a Promis-e power user. But when we saw Toolbox/WD in 1997 our company jumped onboard because the learning curve was not so steep. A 3-day course got us up and running with ease.

Doug McAlexander

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

Hi Robyn,

Please keep me posted on how things are going for you coming up to speed
with AutoCAD Electrical. I'm particularly interested in hearing what your
biggest challenges were while migrating from AutoCAD to AutoCAD Electrical.

We also have several events (no cost) throughout the year that would allow
you to get closer to the development team. Send me an email if you want to
be invited to some of these things in the future.

Thanks,
Scott Reese
Product Manager - AutoCAD Electrical
scott.reese"at"autodesk.com

wrote in message news:5001434@discussion.autodesk.com...
I attended Promise Training November 2005...my thoughts were they could do
anything and everything if you had the expertise to customize which we would
take a lot of customization. Promise was very accomodating to me...their
customer service far out weighed Autocad Electrical at the time. When I
looked into Autocad Electrical it seemed more user friendly and that the
transition wouldnt be so frightening...so that's basically why I went with
Autocad Electrical, hopefully I made the right decision. It's nice to hear
that you hired a consultimg firm to do what I'm expected to do. I
appreciate the trust and competence the company has with me, but felt like I
was kind of thrown out to the dogs on the whole matter. I'm thinking
Autocad Electrical will get up to speed within time and of course, they are
ahead of me now anyways. At first we got the run around as far as support
but they've been pretty accomodating lately. And I use this discussion
group alot especially during the upgrade from Autocad2002.
Message 20 of 20
foruma000137

I want to let you know that our transition will go in baby steps more so due to the situation we are in vs. Autocad or Autocad Electrical. We are a 20+ year old Gasification Plant, so we have several 1000 raster drawings which may or may not get converted to autocad/autocad electrical in my lifetime. But my main thinking was to inch our way to intelligence whether it's just a matter of using the symbol libraries for now.

I would like to be made aware of these events throughout the year to get closer to the development team. Please add me to your invite list: rmiller@bepc.com or Robyn Miller, Dakota Gasification Company, 420 County Road 26, Beulah, ND 58523.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost