AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision history for each drawing

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
gjarus
4406 Views, 7 Replies

Revision history for each drawing

Is there a way to capture revision history in each drawing file's properties so that it updates when a title block update is initiated? If possible I would also like to use the same information to create a Master Change Table that lists all of the revision history that is updated from the same information in each drawing's properties. Please let me know if there is anyway to do this.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
testsubject
in reply to: gjarus

AFAIK Autocad Electrical does not have this capability. I was looking into Vault which seems to provide this function but have not done enough research yet to say Yes for sure.

I thought it would be nice if we had more DESC values instead of just 3 per drawing. These possibly be used for this function.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: testsubject

Vault can do this.  But in Electrical the Revision value lives at the project level.  So what I've done is create a custom property in Vault called "Revision Level".  I then mapped the "Revision" value from the Electrical project, to this custom property in the drawings.  Then in my titleblock revision section, I inserted a field mapped to "Revision Level".  So if the revision of the Project is bumped in Vault, it should trickle down to the drawings and populate that field in the titleblock.

I've also got the Vault Revision Table on my drawings,... but as of today I am having some major issues with that so I can;t tell you it's wonderful yet.  Seems to have some stability issues.

Message 4 of 8
testsubject
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

How do you handle multiple rev history on a drawing? I have seen as many as 4 rev lines on some drawings and these need to be updated as well.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 5 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: testsubject

Well,... when the Vault Revision table was actually working.. (it quit on me a few days ago.. Adesk looking into it), the table would reflect whatever revisions exist in the Vault as a Released state.  You could set it to refresh the entire table or just update the latest revision.

The challenge I've noted, and this has been brought to the attention of developers, is that at the Electrical Project level, you can only map the base revision property in Vault to the Item Master... not the file.  Unfortunately the Vault Revision table uses the Revision value from the file!  Hence the need for a UDP that maps from the Project revision in the Item Master, to the UDP in the drawing files.  Bit of a workaround but once it's set up it's not bad.

Now they just need to fix the bug with the revision tables....

Message 6 of 8
Nata_ly
in reply to: cbenner

I am very interested in this issue. How to withdraw the revision number on the drawing? Chris, I read your post but did not understand exactly how you pulled it off. Could you explain, please? Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 8
Icemanau
in reply to: Nata_ly

What is your definition of a Revision History for a dwg?

When I revise a dwg, I usually add a small description of changes made as well as the new revision number to each dwg in a designated area. I have room for a number of these revision on each dwg and these to me would be the revision history for each dwg.

See the attached jpg for an example from a recent dwg.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 8 of 8
Nata_ly
in reply to: Icemanau

Brad,

I just want it to be automatically.

For example, as in the Inventor there is a special command. It's available only for active Vault-type project and if you've connected to the Vault storage holds.

The command creates the drawing table object with specific characteristics - product revision number, comment, and other cell values. They are updated automatically when you've changed the corresponding properties Vault Element associated with the drawing.

(I hope I could explain it clear, more or less)

So I want something similar in Electrical. Is there any command or attribute for this purpose?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost