AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project cross-reference format fields getting cleared

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
palahnukb
753 Views, 6 Replies

Project cross-reference format fields getting cleared

Is there a way to use special characters in the cross-reference format.  Specifically I would like to use the capital delta symbol for cross-reference between drawings so that the format would look like this: "[Δ%S%N]".  This format is accepted and can be used but the project will eventually reset the field to "[".  When I use the suggested format of "%S-%N" it does not have this issue so this leads me to believe it is with using the delta symbol.  Is there a way around this or should I just stick with using the suggested format?  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: palahnukb

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue in AutoCAD Electrical 2014. All cross-referencing contianed the delta symbol where appropriate.

What version of AutoCAD Electrical are you using?

Also, how do you get the delta symbol in to the setting?

Finally, you say the project eventually resets it. Can you say at what point this resetting happens?

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
palahnukb
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

I am using AutoCAD Electrical 2013.  On a project right now I changed the format to include the delta symbol, click OK and when I go back immediately to the project properties the field only has "[" in it.  I've been inserting the delta symbol using Word 2010 character map.  This issue has been happening for all of my project files.

Message 4 of 7
PatMurnen_Adsk

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue in AutoCAD Electrical 2013 either. The symbol was retained in the Project Properties. I also added it in my Drawing Properties and ran cross-referencing and the cross-reference text itself displayed the symbol fine. I am using the simple text cross-referencing style. I wonder if you paste it into something like Notepad, which is a simple text editor, and then copy and paste it from Notepad to the dialog box if it would make a difference. Sometimes there can be some unseen formatting and it is removed when pasted into Notepad.

This is out of my area of expertise so I will ask someone else here but first let me get a little more information.

What version of Windows are you using?

32 or 64 bit?

Can you record a video using something like Jing and post it so I can make sure I am trying the exact same steps?

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7
palahnukb

Pat,

I am using Windows 7 64 bit.  I tried the Notepad method suggested but still no luck.  I've attached a video.  Thank you very much for your help.

Message 6 of 7
PatMurnen_Adsk

I did find out that even though mine seemed to work, when I closed AutoCAD Electrical and restarted my project, the properties reverted as well, to "[". And when I checked the .wdp file it was no longer there. So, it looks like the project .wdp file does not support these types of characters. It appears to be an ANSI file rather than Unicode. I checked our logging system and this issue has been logged.

However, cross-referencing is actually controlled by the Drawing Properties. So you can set this Drawing Property with the delta symbol and get this in your actual cross-referencing (assuming you are using text style?). You  would have to set it on each drawing manually though rather than setting it in the project and then applying it to all drawings, so not very convenient. But, for new drawings if you set it on your template then you wouldn't have to do it on each one later.

Sorry for this inconvenience,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 7
palahnukb

Hi Pat,

Thank you, I have already set that up.  I was just hoping it was maybe a setting I didn't have set up correctly.  Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost